Sprinkles

Friday, January 14, 2005

Friday Morning Ghosts

In the movie "It's a Wonderful Life," the little girl tells her father that her teacher told her that "Every time a bell rings, an angel gets his wings."

With that thought in mind.... what happens when a clock chimes?

Early this morning, about 6:30 or so, both my husband and I heard the chime of a clock. Not once, but twice. Two separate chimes, the first louder than the second, as if they were from two different clocks. We were both wide awake and we both heard the sounds. I had just gotten back in bed because the cats had woke me up, and my husband had also just gotten back into bed.

We heard the first chime. Distinct and loud. Definitely a clock chime. Both of us heard it at the same time, and it sounded as if it had come from the other side of the house. I immediately thought that one of the cats had touched one of the clocks. "You want to get up and check on that, or should I?" said my husband. I told him I'd go, since I really thought it was one of the cats.... they all slept inside last night because it was too cold on the screen-porch.

As soon as I left our bedroom, I saw AngelBoy sleeping right outside our door. Both ShadowBaby and Rusty were in the living room, in front of the coffee table. They weren't even near any of the clocks that chime. I got back into bed and my husband and I said "Now we both heard that." Not a minute later, and we heard the second chime... softer than the first, also from the other side of the house. We both got out of bed. My husband checked the clocks. None of the chiming clocks were wound up.

Needless to say, we were both wide awake and not going back to bed. We read the paper and had some breakfast. Just a little while ago, when I came into my sitting room to turn on the computer, I noticed that the door on my little music cabinet was wide open. That cabinet is in the corner of the room, and I use it to hold books that I haven't read yet. I hadn't opened that cabinet since I took out a book to read, and that was about three days ago. The latch on that cabinet closes very tightly. And there's no way not to close it tightly because the door will swing open.

Clocks chiming. Not once but twice. A cabinet door opens. All the clocks in this house belonged to my husband's dad. The music cabinet belonged to my husband's mom.

Of course, we tried to logically explain all of this. The chimes were definitely clock chimes, not wind-chimes from outside. We don't even have wind-chimes outside. The cats were nowhere near any of the clocks when we heard the chimes, and neither was the dog. As for the music cabinet, there's no way that one of the cats could've pried open that door. It closes too tightly and as I said, there's no way to not close it tightly because it just won't stay closed that way.

There were no NASA jets flying overhead early this morning, so there weren't any vibrations to make one of the clocks chime. Not that I think a NASA jet could do that, but we did think of any and all possibilities, even remote ones.

In my husband's words... "sometimes things happen that are just outside of our realm of reality." And we have no logical explanation for this morning's reality.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home