Sprinkles

Saturday, January 08, 2005

Sunny Saturday

Gorgeous day today... lots of sun... warm with blue sky, with still warmer temperatures promised for the rest of the week. Maybe the weather gods will be good to us from now on.

Not much going on today....... we watched the little boy across the street learning how to ride his bike without the training wheels. He did pretty well... got all the way down to the end of the cul de sac without a mishap. And so it begins--- independence.

I made that cranberry/apple dish again... used even less sugar this time (just about one tablespoon for the whole batch). After I chopped up the apples and added the dried cranberries, I sprinkled just one tablespoon of brown sugar over the top, then sprinkled all of that with the oatmeal. On top of that, I spooned crushed pineapple (with its juice)... I didn't measure, but it was enough to give each bite of apple/cranberry a taste of the pineapple also. Came out delicious. Basically, the way I changed the recipe, it's baked fruit with a crusty oatmeal topping. The house smells delicious when it's in the oven.

We went out for dinner tonight... back to Babbo Bruno's. Another great dinner. Salmon tonight... yesterday was swordfish. Wonderful fish dishes, one after the other. I could eat there seven days a week.

The windows of the restaurant are still decorated with the tiny white lights they put up for the holidays. I suggested to the owner's wife that they leave the lights up, and just add some monthly decorations. She doesn't want to take the lights down either. Her husband thinks they should come down, she wants them up. I told her she could add hearts for Valentine's Day, Easter eggs for Spring, flags for the patriotic holidays, pumpkins for Halloween, turkeys for November... and then we'll all be right back to Christmas again.

It's colder tonight than it was during the day. Another night that the cats won't be sleeping out on the screen porch. Which means I'll have another night of one of them waking me up between 4:00 and 6:00 in the morning. Last night it was Rusty... he woke me up twice, just by being a cranky old-man cat. He started to fight with ShadowBaby. Not really fight-- he just put his teeth into ShadowBaby's shoulder. Not enough to hurt him, just enough to make him cry. ("Mom... he's touching me........")

My husband and I played Scrabble tonight. It's been a good long while since that game has been out on the table. My husband had three 7-letter words. Usually, he'll get one. Occasionally, he'll get two in a game. Oh well.... I hardly ever win that game when the two of us play. Still fun, though.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home