Sprinkles

Wednesday, January 12, 2005

My Little Fruit Cat

You've heard of fruit bats...... well, I have a fruit cat. AngelBoy...... he loves just about any kind of fruit. And he was in his fruity-glory today because I had fresh cherries in the house (he especially loves those) and I also opened up the bag of dried cranberries (Ocean Spray Craisins).
They're fine, but the plain old dried ones in the plain plastic bag were better.

I think AngelBoy can smell the fruit from wherever he is in the house, because no sooner had I opened up the bag of cranberries and there he was, right next to me in the kitchen. He was stretched up against my leg, with his front paw reaching up towards my arms. Now how cute is that...... my little blue-eyed fluffy cat practically begging for fruit. (Definitely an un-cool thing for a cat to do.)

AngelBoy liked the dried cranberries, and loved the cherries. I once asked our vet if it was okay to give fruit to cats. He was surprised to hear that AngelBoy even liked it. He told me as long as I peeled the skin from the fruits, the flesh of the fruit couldn't hurt him. The vet said that cats and dogs would have a hard time digesting the skins of fruits.

Angel Boy has loved fruit since he was a kitten and has always put his little cat-face right in front of me when I'm eating it. When AngelBoy was a kitten, I was on a bran muffin kick.... every morning, I'd have half a bran muffin with a grapefruit or a banana. And there he was, right next to me by my chair. I'd be picking out the raisins from the bran muffin and he'd munch away at them. He'd eat some of the grapefruit as well, as long as it was a sweet red one, not a sour-y yellow one. And there was no ignoring this cat. When I tried to do that, he'd jump right up on the table and look at me.

Just about the only fruit that AngelBoy doesn't like is a banana. Not even if I mash them up for him.... guess it's just not sweet enough for his little sweet-tooth.

Speaking of AngelBoy, he just walked in here, mewing pitifully and dragging his white shoelaces. (He doesn't meow, he mews. Definite difference.) AngelBoy holds the shoelaces in his mouth (two of them tied together) and brings them to me when he wants to play. My father started this game with a white ribbon when he was a kitten. He'd sit and play with this cat for nearly an hour at a time.... till either my dad fell asleep or AngelBoy got tired of the game. AngelBoy had the same white ribbon for a couple of years, till it got raggedly-looking. Then I tied two white shoelaces together, to make the length as long as the ribbon was, and it's worked out better than the ribbon just because it's thicker.

So here I sit.... with one end of the shoelace tied onto my sandal......... and AngelBoy is playing with the other end. As I type, I'm moving my right foot around so the shoelace swirls around like a snake so he can 'capture' it. The things I do for this blue-eyed cat. He has me well-trained, to say the least. But I love this cat, and I know he loves me as well, so it's okay.

If God is a cat, I've got it made.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home