Sprinkles

Thursday, October 29, 2015

Got shoes?

Yes, I do. Way too many.

I was taking boxes of shoes out of my closet last night, attempting to find my red heels to go with my black and red outfit for Halloween (I'm dressing up as a City-Devil... black dress, red shawl, red belt, red heels, red jewelry, and of course the obligatory red-sparkly devil-horns for my hair.)

In the search for my favorite red heels, which I found all the way in the back, there were also boxes of shoes that I haven't worn since we moved up here to the Hill Country in 2009. Silk shoes of all colors, with open toes and open backs, sparkling shoes with glitter, rhinestones, or bows.... and heels so high that I'd sink into the dirt out here after taking just a step or two off the paved paths.

Oh well. Time to bring a bag of shoes to the thrift store and donate them so they can have a new life outside of my closet. Into a big sack went a pair of red patent-leather heels, as well as a pair of black patent-leathers... I've found that patent-leather doesn't agree with the blasting heat in this state, and why they even sell patent-leather shoes this far south is just beyond me.

I also had two pairs of 'Nine West' silk heels, both in a multi-colored paisley pattern... very nice-looking with a pair of dark jeans and a smart blouse and jacket. They both had open toes... not a good match for the Hill Country because there are fire ants everywhere, even in the teeniest cracks of a concrete sidewalk and between paving stones. Wearing open-toed heels around fire ants is just inviting trouble, especially when one is allergic to the bites, which I am. Into the donation sack went the Nine Wests. Just about killed me to part with those, but I haven't worn them since we moved up here. I closed my eyes when I dropped them into the sack.

Also in the back of the closet were some cute little sandals with beading around the edges. What was I thinking? Actually, I bought those beaded sandals in Clear Lake, where everything is paved and there are indeed fire ants but 99% of the city population calls in a pest-control company every other month so the insects are kept somewhat under control. Out here in the Hills, it's a 'live and let live' attitude and if you're stupid enough to step in a fire ant mound, then you deserve what you get, City-Girl. Altogether now: Into the donation sack went the cute little sandals.

What's left in my closet?  My favorite pair of red high heels which I wear every Christmas and Valentine's Day, two pairs of boots, lots of Pikolino shoes with leather that's as soft as butter, and a dozen pairs of cute little flats that I seem to be living in these days... flats being much more practical for the Hill Country.

Oh well.  If heaven turns out to be one gigantic shoe store, then I'm going to be collecting lots of silk high heels and hope I don't have to worry about sinking into a cloud mass when I wear them. (Do these heels make my wings look fat?) However, I would much rather discover that heaven is an enormous bookstore... and then I'll be collecting books by the truck-load, and maybe then I'll have all the time I need for reading.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home