Sprinkles

Thursday, October 15, 2015

Got pecans?

It's that time of the year again... the branches of the pecan trees are bending with the weight of the thick green pods which are filled with brown-shelled pecans... all ready for picking. And how do we know when picking time is at its zenith? When the huge black crows fly into those trees, scream out a cawing sound that translates into "Get your fresh pecans here!" and then my husband goes out into the yard with an air-horn to chase away the crows. That's when I remind him that living out here in no-man's-land means you have to share some of your pecans with huge birds that disrupt the silence of the countryside. (Actually, that blasted air-horn does an even better job of disrupting the silence.)

Every morning before it gets too hot on that side of the property I go out there with a sack and fill it up with pecans. I now have five sacks in the fridge, each filled with pecans that need to be shelled. With both jobs (the picking and the shelling) I wear those thin throw-away latex gloves. The thick pods will make the tips of your fingers lime-green, and the shells will turn your fingertips a sickly shade of brown. Neither color is much of a match with magenta nail polish.

I use the pecans in everything... in salads and cakes, on top of fish, in breakfast cereal... anything that could possibly use a bit of crunch gets a splash of chopped pecans. A couple of years ago, I sent my cousin some of our pecans... "From our own trees! I picked them myself! They're delicious!"  I think I was more excited than she was. I know she was thinking that she could easily drive herself to the supermarket, buy a bag of pecan halves that have been perfectly shelled without her having to use those horrible latex gloves... and her manicure wouldn't be damaged a bit in the purchase of those store-bought pecans.... and a pecan is a pecan is a pecan.

Talk about bursting a country bubble....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home