Sprinkles

Tuesday, September 15, 2015

We're on puppy-time here...

My mornings used to be fairly slow and easy... breakfast was quiet, sitting at the little table in the breakfast room and either looking at Pinterest boards or looking out of the window to see if any deer were feeding in the pasture.

However, now we have a puppy who has been in her crate all night.  When I first come down the back stairs into the kitchen, Savannah lifts up her head and her tail starts thumping on the blanket in her crate. I make it a point to say not only 'Good morning' to her, but to repeat her name at least half a dozen times (so she'll learn it quickly).

This morning, I made her wait in that crate until I fed the cats (really quickly) and then I opened the door of her crate so she could come out. First thing she did was go to her water bowl... she puts half of her face into that bowl, which wets her face and neck fur as she drinks, then as she walks away from the bowl, there is a constellation of water drops all over that part of the tile floor. The kitchen tiles are dark green... you can see every drop from the other side of the room. (I've already made a note on my shopping list to buy extra boxes of those Swiffer wet-cloths for the floor.)

Out the back door we went this morning, up the road with Savannah on her leash like a little lady--- no pulling, no walking back and forth in front of me... and when a neighbor's truck came along, she sat behind my legs till the truck had passed. Yesterday, we met friend J and her daughter (with their two dogs) and Savannah now has two doggie-friends. This morning when we got up to that part of the road, she sat there as if she were expecting the same little parade.  I may have to schedule doggie-walks so she will have a canine social life on the road here.

Happy day.... we have a very well-behaved puppy who has slept quietly in her crate (except for barking at 3:00 that first morning because there were coyotes in the pasture). Savannah seems content with her toys, her puppy-food, and her new life.  She is still getting used to both my husband and myself, and she's wanting to play with the cats but they're not taking her up on her offer just yet.  Sweet Pea is still keeping his distance (mostly on his cat-tower in the TV room), Mickey and Gatsby are both outside cats but they have followed Savannah and I up the road on our morning walks, keeping their distance without relinquishing their innate curiosity.

All is well in Savannah's doggie world, and I think we made a good choice with this puppy. I hope she feels the same.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home