Sprinkles

Friday, January 24, 2014

"Downton Abbey"

I've been hooked on this PBS series.... I didn't start watching it from the very beginning, and I didn't know what all the fuss was about until I did see the first show of the first season, courtesy of our friend across the road here.  She happened to get that first season from NetFlix and asked if I'd want to see it when she was through with it.

It wasn't long before I had ordered all three seasons from eBay, and then got a second set for my British-loving cousin F up in NY...... we both watched all three seasons, and then discussed the characters and the plots.  I've decided that every household needs both a Carson and a Mrs. Hughes.... and a Mrs. Patmore would be a good addition to anyone's kitchen.

The 4th season of Downton started a couple of weeks ago... I've been watching it across the road at S's house, along with friends J and J..... four ladies watching life unfolding upstairs and downstairs at Downton Abbey.  We've been taking turns making desserts for our Downton-watching....... apple cake, chocolate/pecan pie, fruit salad, chocolate mousse..... with hot tea or iced tea, hot cider, and there's always Dr Pepper waiting in S's fridge if anyone wants to indulge.

I've pre-ordered the DVDs of the 4th season, and they will be delivered at the end of this month.... one set for me, one for cousin F.  The ladies here will have their choice, of watching it week by week on PBS, as we've been doing so far, or watching it marathon-style when I get the complete set of this season's episodes.

As with the first three seasons, we're all hoping to find Carson waiting to take our wraps by the door, but that hasn't happened yet.  And because none of us has a Mrs. Patmore in our kitchens, we're inspired to look through cookbooks so we have something delicious to eat while we watch each episode.

We should all be taking notes when Violet, the Dowager Countess, is speaking..... she has some of the best lines in the show... cutting, but charming.... somewhat disrespectful at times, but with a sparkle in her eye and a smile on her face.  We've decided that when one gets to be Violet's age, one can get away with quite a lot.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home