Sprinkles

Saturday, January 11, 2014

"Saving Mr. Banks"

We went to the movies earlier today, to see "Saving Mr. Banks," with Tom Hanks playing Walt Disney. What a great movie.... and there wasn't a dry eye in the house during the movie, and then again at the end. We had talked about going to see this around Christmas time, but then we both got sick......... but I did order the P.L. Travers' books because I had never read the original "Mary Poppins" stories when I was a kid.  It's never too late in life to read children's books, especially when it comes to long-lasting classic stories that span (and unite) generations.

Now that we've seen the movie, I will have to read the "Mary Poppins" books when I'm finished with the book I'm reading now.  Such a good, good movie..... and they really emphasized the differences between the American customs (Mr. Disney and his associates) and the British customs of Mrs. Travers.  Wonderful, wonderful movie.... and three cheers to Tom Hanks for pulling off the role of portraying an American icon.

My dad took me to see "Mary Poppins" at Radio City Music Hall, in the 1960s when it was being shown for the first time.  In those days at Radio City, you got to see a first-run movie, plus the stage show with the Rockettes.  Daddy loved all of Walt Disney's movies, and this one, because of the combination of real actors and animation, was one of his favorites. During the scene with the dancing penguins and Dick Van Dyke, I remember my dad saying "Will you look at that... how did Walt Disney do that?!"

(The answer, of course---- Pixie Dust.. and a little bit of magic.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home