Sprinkles

Monday, January 06, 2014

Totally stupid weather....

.... and it's cold right across the country, not just here in Texas.  The colder it gets, the crankier I get, for the simple reason that I just can't stay warm.  I know we're not as cold as up north, but honestly, when you move to the state of Texas, you don't plan on wearing layers of heavy clothing during the months of December and January.  Oh well... it is what it is..... and thankfully, there's no snow on the ground... but the water in the birdbath and in the outside fountain was frozen solid this morning. Frozen solid, as in ice.  Give me a blessed break.

Finally getting back into the swing of things here, after the attack of the Christmas flu.  It feels like we barely celebrated Christmas in this house, except for having Christmas dinner with my husband's friend from Clear Lake.  All of that is such a blur.... half of the dinner was cooked on Christmas Eve, the other half cooked on Christmas morning.... and I did my best to get all dressed up for dinner even though I would have been perfectly content to be hiding under the covers with a good book. Oh well, my husband's friend thoroughly enjoyed the day and the dinner, and that's what counts.  As for myself and my husband, we've had many more festive Christmas dinners in the past and we'll certainly have many more in the future.... hopefully not shared with the Christmas flu. (Should that be the Grinch flu, or the Scrooge flu?)

Yesterday began the new season of Downton Abbey.......... we all kept wondering how on earth they could continue on without Matthew, but the new season is already hinting at a wide range of new possibilities for Lady Mary.  I don't usually get into this type of television, but the story is so well done, they're following British history so you get those lessons along the way... the cast is just perfect in all ways.... plus the costumes and the jewelry and the distinct way of British life is just so fascinating to watch. And, of course, the dialogue from the Dowager Countess Violet is just priceless and absolutely memorable.

And.... to celebrate the New Year...... two new stray cats have appeared on the back porch.  To add to the orange/white stray that had been coming round now and then, there is now an all-black cat, and a beige/brown cat.... the black and the beige are both small in size, and most likely from the same litter because where one goes, so goes the other.  It's been freezing out there.... so my promise not to feed stray cats has gone by the wayside....... I'm leaving food out there for the strays, and they're taking advantage of the Meow Mix buffet by the back door.  I don't know where those poor cats go during the coldest part of the day... they may be hiding in the barn.  As long as it's so cold out there, I will continue to feed them.  I will not, however, give them names, nor invite them to join the family.  The cat inn is full.... we don't need any more cats, thank you, but nor can I leave them to starve out there in the cold weather.

Is it Spring yet?!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home