Sprinkles

Tuesday, January 07, 2014

What are you reading......

That's the question my husband asks me just about every day... "What book are you reading now?"

I always tell him the title, but sometimes I wonder if he's really listening.  I do read a lot, and I always have. I can still remember the day I got my first library card, which opened up an entire world of books to a little girl who couldn't afford to buy every book she wanted to read.  But the library.... free books, just choose the ones you want to read, bring them back, and pick out more books.

After working at secretarial jobs after school ended, I found myself applying for a job at a library.  When I started, it was just a part-time job behind the circulation desk, but with access to every book that came across that desk.  I never left that library without at least half a dozen books every night.  That part-time job became a full-time position, and that full-time clerical job turned into a supervisor's position.  I worked at that library for nearly 16 years, and loved all the books, all the patrons.... I just loved that job.  It wasn't even a 'job' in that sense... it was a privilege to work there.

I keep a leather-bound notebook on the desk in the third-floor library of our home.... into that book, I write down the titles of the books I'm reading.  I don't rate them.... I just keep a running month-by-month list of the books I've read, along with the authors' names.  I read everything, drawing the line at trashy fiction. I love sappy Christmas stories during the month of December, biographies, all of Edith Wharton's books, the mysteries of Lawrence Sanders, the memoirs of Helene Hanff, the gardening memoirs of Beverley Nichols, the original stories of Sherlock Holmes,  histories of the Royal Family, dozens and dozens of memoirs (love those memoirs!), historical fiction of the Old South, thought-provoking fiction, and I've got a collection of original Nancy Drew stories, vintage Golden Books, as well as the most beautiful set of all the works of Charles Dickens.  I am an eclectic reader, to say the least.

With that in mind, and because of my husband's question to me every time he sees me with a book, I've started yet another blog, titled "What Book Are You Reading Now?"   As always, you can access the link to the new blog by clicking on the "view complete profile" line on any of my blog pages.

The entries will be fairly short.... the title of the book I'm currently reading, along with the author's name, and a short description of the story that won't give away the entire story, but will give you a sense of the book itself.

The first entry is a wonderfully written, beautiful book..... and when I read the last word on the last page, I looked up and was very surprised to see that the world was indeed spinning along on its axis.... and I had to wonder if anyone else on the planet had been reading the same book at the same time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home