Sprinkles

Sunday, March 12, 2006

St. Patty's Day Lunch

Everything is all set for this afternoon's lunch....... I've done all I can do until it's time to plug in the coffee urn about thirty minutes before our friends are supposed to get here. I love that big urn.... just fill it up, turn it on, and you don't have to think about hot coffee for the rest of the party. (And not being a coffee drinker, it always comes out great as long as I pay attention to the measurements.) Now I just have to remember to put the kettle on for the green tea when we get to dessert this afternoon. (Green tea, yes...... but the coffee is just plain old coffee.)

We went to Babbo Bruno's for dinner last night. Our friend K was working, which is always nice for us, and C was there as well. I brought some of the shamrock-sprinkled chocolate-covered pretzels for K and her mom, and I wrapped up some St. Patty's candies for C's children. Those girls work so hard in that restaurant, and they always make it a point to give us extra attention, no matter how busy they get.

Stefano had salmon ravioli on the menu last night. It was too tempting not to try, so that's what I ordered. Delicious mixture of salmon and ricotta, and he served them in a very light tomato sauce for me, instead of the heavier vodka cream sauce that was on the menu. I've got more than half of last night's dinner waiting in the fridge.... even with the lighter sauce, I didn't want to splurge on all those calories. (I kept thinking how many leg-lifts I'd have to do for each ravioli I ate.)

Speaking of calories, we had decided to get pistachio ice cream for today's party, instead of pistachio gelato. We stopped at Goodie's Ice Cream Shop on the way home.... and wouldn't you know it--- no pistachio last night. Not even mint chocolate chip, in keeping with our green theme. So, back to Friendswood we went, to the Italian Gelato shop..... and got pistachio gelato for this afternoon's dessert. Just as well.... the gelato is lighter than ice cream, and with the other desserts we have, it will work out better.

My fridge is so full with trays and platters right now. As far as I'm concerned, a new fridge would be a blessing, and the sooner the better. It's always such a balancing act when we have company over. I told my husband to open the fridge gently, to protect the "house of cards" that I've constructed on the shelves of that refrigerator.


No phone call from C last night, so I'm taking that to mean that her trip to Vegas has improved a little bit. From my lips to God's ears, as my dear friend Blanche always used to say.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home