Sprinkles

Monday, March 06, 2006

"For Sale" Sign

Well, the For Sale sign in front of C's house makes it official.... and today was the first day that the realtor brought a prospective buyer to their house for a look-see. Our young C didn't want to be in the house while they were walking around, so she came over here after school today.

She wasn't too talkative about the house being sold, so I didn't bring it up. We were having tea in the breakfast room while she was doing her homework, and all of a sudden this tiny voice asks me "How many times do you think you'll be able to come and see me after we move to Las Vegas?"

I tried very hard to keep my voice as normal as possible, and I was determined not to let my eyes fill up with tears. I told C that we would fly out there as many times as we could during the year, and then we'd always have time during the summer. Her eyes brightened up at that one and she asked "You mean you'll be able to spend the whole summer with us?" I told her that that wasn't exactly what I meant.... we couldn't leave Gracie and the cats alone all summer long, and besides, her parents wouldn't want house guests for months or even weeks on end.

While C was here, my husband just happened to pop in during a break at work. He didn't know C was here, so it was a surprise for both of them. Before he went back to the office, C asked him to measure her against "her door," because she was sure she had grown some. Sure enough, she did grow a quarter of an inch since the last pencil mark.

That door is going to be a bittersweet reminder of C after they move.

And speaking of Vegas, C and her mom leave this Friday.... they're flying to Vegas to have a look-see at some of the houses C's dad has found for them. And while they're out there, I'm sure they will go look at some of the schools. C doesn't want to go.... she wants to stay here with us for the week. She had asked me that, but I told her that the decision was up to her parents, and I also suggested to her that it would be a good idea for her to fly out there with her mom so they both could take a look around at what will soon be their new home.

C's answer to that was "We don't need a new home.... there's nothing wrong with our old one."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home