Sprinkles

Saturday, March 11, 2006

Perfect Little Triangles

I've spent the morning getting the spanikopita ready for tomorrow St. Patty's Day lunch. Instead of doubling my usual recipe, I opted to make my usual recipe twice, using two separate pans to mix up the spinach, onions, cheese, spices, eggs. Every time I've tried to double that recipe, it never seems to come out right, so it's just better for me to do it twice. I don't have the measurements written down.... I just go by how it looks, so doubling it doesn't work. When the two pans of spinach mixture were done, I tasted a little of both just to be sure, then I mixed them together. Sort of the hard way to do it, but it works for me.

My friend F had suggested that I practice folding the triangles (folded-flag shapes) with paper towels. Well, that worked like a charm. I was able to fold up all the strips of fillo dough perfectly, ending up with perfect triangles instead of oddly-shaped bundles. I now have two pans of spanikopita in the fridge, waiting to be baked tomorrow. I had two triangles left that didn't fit into the second pan, so I baked them up for our lunch today. Delicious.... perfect lunch dish for a St. Patty's Day get-together. Our friends will also be adding foods to the table, so our buffet lunch will be a green surprise for all of us.

I don't think I'm going to make the kiwi cocktails.... we'll have enough desserts as it is, with the key lime cookies, the lime tarts, and the pistachio ice cream. Plus, I don't have enough room in the fridge for the champagne glasses that the cocktails have to set in. When I made those cocktails for New Year's Eve, I had to squeeze them into the fridge and I broke one my prettiest glasses.

I told my husband that it will soon be time for a new and bigger refrigerator. I've just about had it with this side-by-side fridge/freezer. It works well for us except when we have a lot of company and I do extra cooking, which is about once a month. The one I'd like to get for the kitchen is a side-by-side on top, but the doors open to full-width shelving. The freezer is on the bottom, which I think is a great idea. These little side-by-side shelves just don't hold what I need them to hold when we have friends over. I will keep the fridge that we have now, but I'll hook it up out in the garage and use it to store extra foods for our parties.

But that's to worry about another time. Tomorrow is our lunch, and today is my day to get as much ready as I can so I won't be frazzled tomorrow morning.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home