Sprinkles

Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Last Day of The Month....

......... And here goes February. Too fast, too fast. So hard to believe, but I've been saying that for years now-- that the days, weeks, months, years...... fly by so quickly.

Another warm, sunny, gorgeous day today. So nice to see our "normal" weather back again.

I met A for lunch today, and we shopped around at some of the stores, looking for whatever caught our eye. I was searching for some St. Patrick's Day items, but didn't find anything better than what I've already found. Lots of things caught my eye, but I didn't buy much.

There's a store called "Tuesday Morning" that has so many pretty dishes and glassware. If I had a big pantry with lots of glass-fronted cabinets, I'd be filling it up with dishes and glasses of all colors. Reds and greens, and special serving plates for holidays. I've got my grandmother's love of fine china. Her cabinets were always filled with all sorts of mis-matched plates and cups and bowls. I don't think she had a full set of any one pattern, but no matter what was on her table just always looked beautiful.

Thinking back to when we had to go through my husband's mom's home, I wish now that we had kept more of her pretty plates and serving pieces. We brought home as much as I thought we had room for, and I've been using all of the pieces for our Charades parties and smaller dinner parties. My china cabinet is filled, and so is the buffet, and so are the kitchen cabinets and the coffee bar. I found some beautiful green glassware in "Tuesday Morning" this afternoon, but I put them back when I realized that I really had no more room to display them properly.

If we ever do get another house, I will make sure it has a huge pantry, or better still, a "butler's pantry," and I would love a bigger kitchen with lots of glass-fronted cabinets. But we truly love this house. It's just every once in a while, we think about last year's hurricane, and we don't ever want to have to be in that situation again.

Our friend B, who moved up to Dallas last year, has told us that it's "time to get out of Dodge." And this is coming from a man who was born and raised in Galveston, went to college in New Orleans, and who never ran from a storm in his life. But last year's hurricane had him on the phone to us telling us to "get out, get out, get out." And we did, and it was truly the hardest thing we've ever had to do here. We don't want to do it again. But we don't want to move, either. Such a dilemma.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home