Sprinkles

Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Slight Cold Snap......

We had rain last night, and this morning is a little cooler than it has been since Christmas. Come to think of it, before yesterday's rain, I can't remember the last time we had a wet day here. It's bright and sunny now, so I'm hoping for a very warm afternoon.

My husband and I had a surprise visit yesterday morning..... our two young girls, C and L, rode over on their bikes to say hello and have breakfast with us. They usually do that on a Saturday, so we were really surprised when the doorbell rang yesterday morning. The girls helped me set the dining room table and get the eggs and fresh oranges ready. Both of them feel so much at home here, and that's a good thing.

The girls were off from school yesterday because of Martin Luther King Jr. Day........ there was a huge parade in downtown Houston that was televised on the local channels. I can still remember the very day that I heard about the shooting of Dr. King...... I was in a high school English class, and the announcement came over the loud-speaker. The English teacher cried, and we all sat there, stunned into silence. The 1960s was a turning-point in this nation, in my opinion. Between President Kennedy, Bobby Kennedy, and Dr. King all being killed, it was as if nothing and no one was "sacred" anymore. And if those men couldn't be kept safe, what was that saying for the rest of us?

Anyway.... we don't know if L will continue to ride over here and "surprise" us on weekend mornings after C and her family move to Vegas. I intend to keep in touch with L, and I'll make it a point to see her from time to time, but I have a feeling that C has been "the glue" in her circle of friends. They will all miss her very much after she moves, I'm sure.

Barry Manilow was on The Tonight Show last night. He sang one of the songs from his soon-to-be-released CD of songs from the 1950s. After his song, the show was just about over, and Jay Leno didn't give Barry hardly any time at all to sit and chat. Too many people on last night's show, in my opinion. Leno had the three people who judge the acts on "American Idol," then a female comedian was on (could've done without her), and then Barry. I stayed up late to watch that show... which I don't often do. The Tonight Show hasn't been the same for me since Johnny Carson retired. Nothing against Leno, because he's a nice guy with a great sense of humor. I was just so used to Carson and McMahon........ so I only watch Leno when someone is on that I want to see.

I love the idea of Manilow singing the old songs from the 1950s. There are such beautiful ballads from that decade, and he's putting the magic Manilow touch on them all....... and the ones I've heard have been beautiful. Especially "Unchained Melody" from the Righteous Brothers. Needless to say, I'll be buying that CD.

Oprah gave her new Book Club selection yesterday: "Night," by Elie Wiesel. For Oprah to say that this little book should be "required reading" for everyone says volumes about the book. Even though I've got a huge pile of books here that I want to read, I'll be going to the bookstore today to get a copy of that book. I have kept most of Oprah's books for my own book shelves, and when I see one-dollar copies of her books on the library's For Sale shelves, I buy them and give them out in the gift-bags at our parties, to those friends who I know will enjoy them. After all these years of giving out books, I've come to know which books to give to which friends.

Speaking of parties, I've starting mailing and giving out the invitations to our Valentine's Charades Party. I think this is the 4th year we've hosted a Valentine's Party. We missed one year when my husband's mom passed away at the beginning of February. Even though we had mailed out the invitations, I called everyone and cancelled the party. I think Audrey would've wanted me to go ahead with the party as planned, but it just wasn't in me to be celebrating so soon after her passing that year.

Our Charades party list keeps growing... it gets longer each year as new people are added. Not just couples, but people we meet along the way who seem to "fit" into our party themes. Somehow, our living room is always big enough to hold everyone comfortably. (And I still remember the day when I saw the size of this living room for the first time and wondered "what will we do with such a large living room?")

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home