Sprinkles

Friday, January 06, 2006

Lady Diana

We took little Miss C to the downtown Science Museum today... they had an exhibit on Lady Diana there. Lots of her beautiful clothes, even her wedding gown. Just so pretty to see, all of them. There was also some of her jewelry on display, as well as her childhood toys and personal diaries and letters and keepsakes. I have to admit that I didn't read the letters she wrote to her parents and friends. I don't know why... just too personal, I think, and it isn't like it was her own idea to display them for all the world to see. I just looked at them quickly and moved on.

What was totally overwhelming to me were the hundreds and hundreds of condolence books that were on display.... books from countries all over the world, with signatures and notes from millions and millions of people who were saddened by her death and wanted to write a few lines to express their sense of loss. The wall of bookcases reached from floor to ceiling, and the wall was at least thirty feet in length. Most of the books were closed, but you could read the country of origin on the spines. Some of them were opened to pages that were filled with poignant messages from little children as well as adults. Those pages that were opened, I did read with interest. The notes from the little children were the sweetest. And the books filled with Chinese and Japanese notes looked like works of art.

I bought rhinestone tiaras in the museum gift shop for both myself and C. I told her that we could wear them for our next tea party. C put hers on right away, and she wore it for the rest of the day, even when we went to Niko Nikos for lunch, and to Hank's Ice Cream for dessert. She was also wearing it when her mom came to pick her up a little while ago, and she asked me to put mine on also, so we were both wearing our rhinestone tiaras when her mom rang the doorbell.

Busy couple of days here with C.... I always put everything else aside while she's here so I can give her my full attention. As a result, my blue-eyed AngelBoy felt neglected and he had a little accident inside the house when I wasn't watching him closely. He quickly came meowing to me after his "accident" and I followed him to the scene of the crime. It was very tiny, and easily cleaned up, but for goodness sake, that cat lets me know when I'm not paying attention to his little prissy self. He watched me clean the carpet, too... sitting there in a perfect King Cat pose, squinting his blue eyes at me as if to say "So there!" -- And it wasn't as if he was being totally ignored.... C has been playing with the cats since she got here. But in AngelBoy's eyes, if it isn't me that he sees, then it isn't good enough.

Kids.... cats.... they have their own agendas.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home