Sprinkles

Sunday, January 08, 2006

Borders Bookstore

We have a new bookstore in the area..... "Borders." They built it right across the road from our Barnes & Noble. I went to both stores today, to (again) take advantage of the after-Christmas sales. Just about every child we know will be getting beautiful books for their birthdays and Christmas this year.

Barnes & Noble is such a warm, old-fashioned looking store, and I can spend a great deal of time in there. (Not warm in temperature, however, since I always have to bring a sweater for their air-conditioning which is always too cold.) Borders, on the other page (not such a bad pun, is it?) is a modern, cold-looking store. I was in and out of there in less than an hour, which is super-fast for me to be in and out of any bookstore.

I didn't buy one book for myself, being that I've got more than enough books that I need to read. Any book-lover knows that you can buy books faster than you can read them. I paged through a lot of cookbooks and decorating books, but I didn't feel the need to buy any of those, either. I already have beautiful books about entertaining and partying, and more than enough recipes to keep me busy. (And I still tend to cook the same things, except when the urge hits at party-giving time.)

The children's books are getting more creative, more colorful, more whimsical, and more educational. I love to look through those books and find little treasures to add to the libraries of the kids we have in our lives. I'm sorry that I didn't think to go to Barnes & Noble before the holiday. I could've sent books up to my husband's great-nephew and great-niece, instead of sending a check up to their parents for Christmas gifts. It's hard to buy toys for little kids that you don't see all the time... who knows what they like and what they already have? But books.... books (good books) seem to always be welcomed. I've never met a little kid yet who didn't take delight in having books of their own.

And little kids who love books usually grow up into adults who love books. And that is a very good thing, in my book. (Pardon that awful pun.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home