Sprinkles

Saturday, April 23, 2005

Banana Pecan Muffins

What to do with three small bananas that were over-ripe........ get out the recipe book and make banana bread..... or in this case, muffins. Of course, I took a perfectly good recipe and changed it around to eliminate some of the fat and calories, so if I don't write it down here, I'll forget what I did.

The recipe called for 2/3 cup sugar and 1/2 cup shortening. (Ugh. Straight to the hips that would go.)

I used 2/3 cup Splenda (delicious faux-sugar) and 1/2 peach butter (similar to apple butter, only made with peaches). I creamed those together in a large bowl, then added two eggs, one at a time, and mixed till smooth. (Mixed with a spatula.) Into that, I added about 1/4 cup of finely chopped pecans, then added the three mashed-up bananas and mixed just till everything was combined.

In a smaller bowl, I mixed together 1/2 tsp. salt, 1 & 1/4 cup flour, 3/4 tsp. baking soda, 1/4 tsp. baking powder..... stirred that all up, then added it to the banana mixture in the larger bowl and mixed it with the spatula till everything was blended nicely.

I just bought a new muffin pan.... the mini-muffin size..... so I used that. Instead of greasing the pan, I used those paper liners that they sell. Into a 350-degree oven, for about 15 minutes. The recipe made 16 muffins. Delicious....... especially the one I had with a cup of tea as soon as they were done baking... warm from the oven, and the peach butter made them moist and sweet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home