Sprinkles

Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Another Handyman Journey....

.... And so it begins.... tomorrow morning at 9:00 (translation: possibly 10:30)... the workers will be here to tear up the lineoleum floor in the second bathroom and install the new ceramic tiles. I have just taken away the scatter-rugs in there, and the little vanity seat, and the candlesticks that sat on the floor by the tub. (Translation: I've cleared the way for the workers, to make it easy for them to begin as soon as they get here... sometime before noon.)

I had to laugh at an eMail I got recently from Frankie's friend in Germany. He said they have similar problems with handymen over on his side of the Atlantic as well. He also suggested that my husband and I consider doing the work ourselves, to get the job done quicker and to save some money. I laughed out loud at that. R has no idea that our household tool-box consists of a hammer, some nails, a jar of screws, a pair of pliers, and a few screwdrivers. And somewhere in the garage is a power-drill and some extension cords.

Speaking for myself, I do not want to learn how to rip up lineoleum and install ceramic tiles, nor do I even want to think about taking out a commode and installing a new one. For goodness sake... I could break a nail. I don't even pump my own gas into my car-- I rely on the one last remaining gas station in Clear Lake that has a "full service" gas pump. If they ever change that policy, I guess I'll have to learn... but that's another story.

Speaking for my husband... with all the hours he puts into his job, he doesn't have time to be Mr. Handyman around this house, so scratch that idea. I'm just happy that we've found a good contractor who will come out here for all these "small jobs" that need to be done. I searched the telephone book last year when we needed work done on the master bathroom.... no one wanted to come out here to install "just" a new shower. Jeez... you would think I had wanted someone out here to turn on a faucet for me so I could get a drink of water.

I'll be happy to see ceramic tiles in that bathroom, rather than the lineoleum. It wasn't my favorite lineoleum pattern, to say the least, but it served its purpose for the past 8 1/2 years. I know what will happen, though. Once those new tiles are in, I'm going to get itchy fingers to have the lineoleum changed in the other bathroom. But we'll see. One bathroom at a time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home