Sprinkles

Sunday, April 10, 2005

The Pope and The Prince

Busy couple of weeks for the television news programs........ the Pope died and the Prince of Wales got married.

I watched the news as the Pope's health began to fail..... it was evident that the end of his life was very near, especially the day he appeared at his window and couldn't speak. The poor man looked to be in such pain. I had to wonder why they let him be seen like that, as his health failed and his dignity melted away.

The Pope's funeral was very impressive, and the music and the choir were indeed beautiful. There were at least 200 leaders from around the world, all gathered together at The Vatican. I wonder if the rest of the world had their fingers crossed that all would go well, with no "international incident" of any kind.

Should be interesting to see who the next Pope will be. Not that I follow that religion anymore, but it's just a matter of curiosity on my part. Pope John Paul II was so adamant about not having women as priests, not allowing priests to marry...... sooner or later, the Catholic Church is going to have to change their traditional ways, or they won't have many people filling up the pews of their churches. In my humble opinion.

As for the Prince of Wales...... I hope he's finally happy. Somehow, I think he's happier being in a state of melancholy rather than in a state of bliss. But again, that's just my opinion.

Years and years ago, I got up before dawn to watch the wedding of Charles and Diana. It was a fairy-tale wedding, except that the Prince and Princess didn't live happily ever after, of course. Far from it. And how sad........ for them, for their two sons, for their country.

And now Charles has what he wanted from the beginning: Camilla. I have to say that she looked wonderful on her wedding day. The magic of being a bride... after all, don't all brides look beautiful? The British press has been awful towards poor Camilla, but she handled it all very well. At least in public. For all we know, once she got behind her own front door, she quite possibly hid herself in a closet and cried till her mascara ran down to her toes.

I think the only way that Prince Charles can prove to his country that he is indeed a man is to announce that he won't accept the position of King of England when his mother the Queen passes away. There's been too much controversy with Charles. Too many shadows following him around, even now that he's changed Camilla from a mistress to a wife. But he'll insist on being King when the time comes. And even then, His Royal Whineness will find something to complain about.

As I told our friends B & P at dinner last night...... I talk about the Windsors as if I'm part of the family.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home