Sprinkles

Saturday, June 03, 2017

Life in the country....

As I type this, there is a snake in the breakfast room window... and of course it's the window right behind my chair. This is the second time a snake has gotten himself caught between the screen and the glass of that particular window. As it happens, there is a bird's nest right above that window. So the snake smells the eggs in the nest, tries to get up into it, and gets itself caught behind the screen.

The last time this happened, half of the snake was hanging out below the screen and my husband used a snake-grabbing pair of tongs to capture the snake and throw him out into the field. For all we know, this could be the same snake, back for a second attempt. However, this snake was very determined, and all of his slithering body is now behind the wood screen. In order to get him free, my husband would need to unscrew the wood frame of the screen, but in doing so, he would be in close proximity to a very aggravated snake. Not a good thing.

So I closed the shutters of the breakfast room window and I am trying to forget the snake is there. Fat chance of that happening. Either the snake will get out of his screen-prison by himself, or he will take his last breath in there and then my husband will unscrew the wood frame and toss the dead snake out into the field. Thankfully, even though there is an inch-wide gap between the screen's frame and the windowsill, the glass window itself is very tight and secure and I know for sure the snake cannot get into the breakfast room. Give me a blessed break with the wildlife out here.

In other, more sane happenings..... I am still collecting books for The Magic Wand Book Club. The one thrift store that offered me free books had a nice selection for me when I stopped in there this morning. In another thrift store, one of the girls who works there gave me some nice books for the students. I will probably have enough Halloween-ish mystery books for the month of October, and Christmas stories for December. I am still making bookmarks and now I have started on the bookplates for the books the students want to keep.

Busy, busy.... who has time for snakes in the window.  I just looked over there.... I can see his shadow moving, so he is trying to get out. Either that, or he wants to join the book club.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home