Sprinkles

Sunday, April 09, 2017

Spring Fling for the lizards....

I have a red wrought iron chair by the back steps, just as cute as it can be because it looks like an old ice-cream parlor chair. Two lizards decided to use the seat of that chair for a romantic rendezvous during yesterday's sunny afternoon.

My husband and I were walking down the path towards the back door and I noticed a big blob of bright green on one corner of that chair. From a distance, it looked like someone spilled some green paint on the red metal. As we got closer, the green looked like wilted cabbage or some other type of green leafy vegetable. Closer still, and it was clear that the blob of green consisted of two lizards, one on top of the other and neither one of them were moving.

Were they dead?  Baked in the sun?  Not at all. The lizard on the bottom had its eyes open and was watching us, but it clearly was pinned down and couldn't move. The lizard on top had its eyes closed and we could see its chest moving up and down, breathing slowly in a contented sleep. My husband said the male was on top, sound asleep after his 'adventure,' and the female wasn't able to move because of the male's weight.

We brought bags of groceries up onto the porch and then into the house, and the two lizards stayed on the corner of the chair, the male sleeping and the female watching us, and they stayed like that for nearly fifteen minutes. My husband said that if I got close enough, I could probably hear the male snoring.

I resisted the urge to get that close. Even lizards deserve some semblance of privacy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home