Sprinkles

Thursday, November 26, 2015

Thanksgiving Day

It is nearly 9:30 at night as I type... dinner was earlier than usual because the turkey didn't take as long as I thought it would... those pop-up timers are a great little device. We had the turkey and sweet potatoes (my Aunt Dolly's recipe), oyster dressing and mashed potatoes (which my husband makes), baked apple slices with pineapple and pecans and raisins, and cranberry/pineapple sauce, plus broccoli for something green, and little rolls just because Thanksgiving dinner doesn't seem complete without some sort of little rolls on the table.

My husband's friend J drove up from Clear Lake and he's staying in the guest cottage tonight... he brought the pies (apple and pecan) so with just the three of us (two other friends who were invited were out of town today)... we had quite the feast here.

I gave Savannah some turkey, my husband gave her some pie and ice cream... and then she ate her dog food. I gave Sweet Pea bits of the turkey but he turned his nose up and walked away (such a cat!) so Savannah got his turkey as well.

I spoke to my Aunt Dolly in Florida this afternoon... she will be 103 next summer... cousins of mine from NY went to Florida to have Thanksgiving there with her, and Aunt Dolly was happy about that. When I got on the phone with my aunt, her first words to me were "So when are you and your husband coming to see me?!" (Which she asks every time she gets me on the phone.)  We went to Florida for her 98th birthday, and we were there for her 100th birthday.... I guess we'd better make some plans to see her for her 103rd.  Aunt Dolly sounds wonderful and looks great (so my cousins told me) and the only part of her that's declining is her hearing... it takes so much effort to yell into the phone so she can understand me, so I keep the conversations short. I didn't tell her about our new puppy but I'm sure my cousins showed her the eMailed pictures and told her about Savannah.

Savannah is one of the reasons for not traveling on Thanksgiving... plus the fact that neither my husband nor I want to be anywhere near an airport during this holiday week. Airports are crazy enough these days... then you add a holiday into the mix and the insanity is endless. As much as I would have liked to have seen Aunt Dolly for Thanksgiving, there's still no place like home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home