Sprinkles

Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Oh goodie... another drippy day.

After a beautifully warm (and normal-weather day) we're back to rainy, dreary, drippy, and a little bit colder. Will this never end? But on the bright side, I should count my blessings... it's below freezing or next-to-freezing in other parts of the country, and all this rain isn't as bad as the mounds of snow that's falling elsewhere. In other words, I should quit complaining. I am the first to admit that we get so spoiled here with lovely weather that when the sun doesn't shine, we (I) get downright cranky.

I went to one of the local consignment shops a couple of days ago.... I hadn't been there in a while and it was nice to walk around and see what they had. It's a huge store, filled with everything from a pretty teacup and saucer to a six-piece bedroom set. Everything in the store is in as-new condition, and the entire store is filled to the brim. Makes me wonder if half of this town is always in a re-modeling mode. Or they could be down-sizing. I'm not big on re-modeling (I tend to keep furniture forever) and I'm not ready to down-size yet.

My weaknesses in these consignment shops are chairs, glassware, pretty porcelains, and china plates. There is no room in this house for one more chair, so I barely look at those anymore. As for glassware and plates... that's another story. I found a set of beautiful vintage glasses there...... very pale green with platinum rims, circa 1940. A set of nine long-stemmed goblets. I didn't buy them-- where would I put them? When I got home, I looked at all of my glassware and figured out that if I got rid of some of my current items, I would have plenty of room for those pretty glasses.

A lot of my glassware was found at other resale/consignment shops-- or traded with other dealers when I was a seller myself. Other pieces came from yard sales and moving sales. Seems like an easy solution to me... get together a box of lesser-quality glassware from the yard sales, bring them to the consignment shop for them to sell, and buy the 1940's platinum-rimmed set.

The consignment shop splits the sales 50/50, so that's a good deal as far as I'm concerned. I know what it's like to rent space in an antique/resale shop--- you have to keep inventory, pay quarterly taxes, rearrange your merchandise--- and keep it dust-free at all times (which is the biggest pain-in-the-butt). So bringing things to a consignment shop and letting them sell for you sounds great to me.


Young Miss C stopped by after school the other day... she had two large shopping bags filled with pajamas. She arranged for her Color Guard group at school to have a Pajama Party Practice, and she asked all of the girls on the team to bring a pair of pajamas for our Pajama Program Chapter. The girls collected 19 pairs of pajamas, one sparkly tee-shirt, and one bright pink pair of slippers. C sat with me a while and we cut off the tags and sorted them into sizes. (I cut off the tags to avoid paper-cuts on the kids' fingers when they try to pull off the tags instead of waiting to have them cut off with a scissors-- they get so excited!)

All of C's pajama-donations are already delivered... I brought them to the local church for their children's shelter, and they were most happy to get them. And even happier still to know that they were collected by a sixteen-yr-old high school student.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home