Sprinkles

Thursday, January 24, 2008

Just how long can it rain?

Another rainy drippy day. And still cold. Where have our warm winters gone? I am blessedly tired of wearing a coat and a scarf, not to mention two sweaters. (All of that clothing for 50-degree temperatures, if you can believe that. Up in NY, they would call this Spring.)

I went to the consignment shop today and dropped off my old yard-sale-treasure glassware.... and came home with the vintage light green, platinum-rimmed glasses. They're made by Noritake, and they're a discontinued design, which is always nice to hear-- makes them more unique.

This consignment shop has a small blackboard at their entrance, and every day they mark down a category of items which will sell all day long for a 20% discount. Today's featured sale was anything which is open or can be opened. I thought they meant something like covered boxes or covered serving bowls-- anything with a lid. Turns out that all their glassware was 20% off today-- because the tops are open. So that was a nice surprise when I got to the cash register.

I also found two light amber sherbet glasses... beautiful shape, high pedestal, made by Lenox (I didn't know they made glassware), and they will be perfect on the dining room table for Thanksgiving. I don't use glasses just for drinking.... they're great for tea-lights, votives, small candies, desserts, croutons, just about anything you can think of. They just had two of the amber glasses, which is fine....... I don't need to be finding room for any more glassware.

The consignment shop also had a set of bright red goblets when I went in the other day. Of course I thought they would look beautiful for a Christmas table, or for Valentine's Day.... but the goblets were large, and I definitely don't have room for those unless I start taking away some of my dishes....... and I love all the dishes that we have now, so I'm not ready to part with any of those. And besides, those red glasses weren't on display anymore, so I guess they were sold sometime between the other day and this afternoon.

Dishes..... glassware...... hard to resist those. I wonder if I got this collecting bug years and years ago from my grandmother, when we used to go into the basement level of the Gertz store on Jamaica Avenue-- Grandma would look for bargain-priced plates, bowls, cups and saucers. Everything she picked out was beautiful, and made of fine china, but at really low prices because nothing was in a complete set. And sometimes she would find a cup without a saucer (or vice versa) and then the search would be on to find a good match for it. I don't think my grandmother ever shopped on the upper floors of the Gertz store--- she always headed down to the basement level where the prices were lower. (Those were the days before resale shops and yard sales.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home