Sprinkles

Monday, August 13, 2007

Weekends are flying by...

Mid-August already.... we say this every year, but I will say it again-- the summer months go by so quickly. Even though "summer" lasts more than just a few months here, my mind still thinks of summer as just being June/July/August. Which is far from the truth in this part of the country.... a typical "summer" can last from March through October, with the rest of the year being like Spring--- except for a cold-snap every now and again to make sure we're paying attention.

We had dinner on Saturday night with young Miss C and her mom. They came for a pizza dinner and dominoes, which we had done at their house a couple of weeks ago. We just reversed it to our house this time... C's mom brought the salad and we got the pizza from a local Italian restaurant. (Much better than Pizza Hut or Domino's.)

I made place cards for our dinner..... Miss C had told me not long ago that we hadn't had a "place card dinner" in a while, so I made them with her place card collection in mind. I had bought a deck of cards at a yard sale awhile back, and kept them just to use as place cards. (I was thinking of having a card party at the time, but we never arranged it.) With a little name tag attached to them, the cards looked really cute on the table, along with napkins with hearts/spades/diamonds/clubs on them. It looked more like a card-party than a pizza & domino night, but the table looked casual and fun, and that was the point.


We're waiting for the bug-spray guy to come today....... he'll spray everything outside, including the garage, and everything inside, including the attic. I truly hate to get on an every-three month plan with a pest control company, but that whole episode with the wasp sting just made me a little bit nuts. Not something that I want repeated, that's for sure.

Yesterday, my husband hosed down the front of the garage, above the door where the wasps had their nest. A tiny bit of the nest was still up there, which is why the wasps were coming back. There's not a trace of their nest there now, though, and after everything gets sprayed this afternoon, I doubt a wasp will want to come near our house. Neither will a butterfly, and that's the problem. But that's the way it goes.


My Aunt Dolly left for Florida on Friday of last week. I am sure that walking out of that house for the last time was probably the hardest thing she's ever had to do. Just the thought that it isn't the family home anymore is hard to believe. 89 years in that house...... more than a life-time. I will call Aunt Dolly this week and see how she's doing in Florida. I wanted to give her a few days to get settled down there, before trying to speak with her. She was so upset during her last week in NY that I barely got to talk to her on the phone for more than a few minutes. She sounded very stressed...... and I know that if given a choice, she would not have left that house. "The house that Papa built." That's what it will always be to her, no matter who eventually buys it and lives in it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home