Sprinkles

Tuesday, August 07, 2007

B.... as in bee.

Well, guess who just found out she's allergic to bee stings?

I was out in the driveway this morning, trying to take down a spray of artificial flowers that I had used as a decoration above the door of the garage. I didn't realize there were bees hiding in the flowers and when I went to grab it, the bees came out and one of them stung me on the left side of my face.

Of course I screamed, which got my husband to come running of the house to see what had happened. He said he hadn't ever heard me scream like that before. I told him that I've made that sound many times throughout all our years in Texas, but he just hasn't been home when I was "surprised" by flying, crawling, and/or slithering things. Lucky for me, he was home this morning, because we were nearly on our way to the emergency room.

Ten minutes after I got stung by the bee, my heart was going a mile a minute (I now know what that phrase really means) and I felt faint and sick to my stomach and my hands were shaking and I couldn't stand up. The world was spinning out of control, and all because of one tiny bee sting. We were on our way to the emergency room of the local hospital when my husband thought of our friend J who is a retired doctor.

We went to his house first, and he was there...... he checked my pulse, put ice on my face, gave me aloe for the sting, and told me to go back home before the two tablets of Benedryl that I had taken before leaving kicked in and made me sleepy. So that's just what we did...... and as soon as I put my head down on my pillow, I fell asleep for two hours.

One little teeny-tiny bee...... and I thought my world was coming to an end on this bright and sunshine-filled hot morning. Bee stings and fire-ant bites...... I now know I am allergic to both. Give me a blessed break.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home