Sprinkles

Saturday, July 21, 2007

My grandmother's house...

I've heard through the family grapevine that my Aunt Dolly is thrilled with Florida, and she keeps telling everyone how beautiful it all is. Well, we've been trying to get her to move out of Queens for over twenty-five years now, and finally, finally, she seems to be taking kindly to this move-of-a-lifetime adventure.

There's still the house filled with family things......... and now Aunt Dolly is wanting everyone in the family to take what they want before the estate-sale company comes to the house to sell everything that she won't be taking to Florida.

In my mind's eye, I'm going through every nook and cranny of that house, making a list of things I might want to have shipped down here. So many things in that house that I've known for all of my life..... but I can't take too much... our house here is full and I don't want to be parting with anything that's already here.

However.... my grandmother's porch set...... I have a porch here, and a porch at the lake cottage..... I could use that set at either house, and just get rid of the yard-sale items that are in the porches now. And those beautiful green glass lamps in my grandmother's dining room... if Aunt Dolly isn't taking them to Florida, I would want those...... and I'll just get rid of two of my small lamps here.... two of the small ones that came from yard and estate sales.

Aunt Dolly wanted me to have my father's television console.... it's very big, and the television no longer works, and neither does the record player. Plus, we really have no room for that here, and it's not the sort of thing that would fit up at the cottage, so I think I'll have to tell Aunt Dolly that I can't take that. She'll be disappointed about that, but it's just too big and I'd have to part with a big piece of furniture here to make room for it, and that just doesn't make sense, for a non-working television in an over-sized cabinet.

So much in that house.... too much in that house....... and I don't want to be over-crowding my house here. Still so sad to think that my grandmother's house in Queens will soon no longer belong to the family.

I think Aunt Dolly is going to really love Florida. She'll be living close to Disney World. I wonder if she'll get to see Mickey Mouse.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home