Sprinkles

Tuesday, October 17, 2006

What a difference a day makes........

...... as that old song goes..... recently recorded by Barry Manilow on his CD titled "Greatest Hits of the 1950s," by the way.

Yesterday (as well as the day before) was dark, dreary, and rainy, rainy, rainy. The water level at the intersection at the end of our cul-de-sac was knee-deep. Not that I was walking in it, but most of the neighbors were, and they were covered up to their knees in the water. Yuck, and double yuck. I would never walk in rainwater that's swirling around in the streets.... you can't see the frogs, and worse still-- you can't see the snakes and fire ants.

Along our cul-de-sac yesterday, during the worst of the rain, the water covered the curbs, the grass next to the curbs, and the sidewalk. The neighbors who were outside yesterday said this was the worst rains they've ever seen here. Thankfully, the homes here are built way back from the street.... so the rain has a good ways to go before it even gets near the front porches. The rain stopped after dinner-time, and within an hour, the water had gone down the storm-drains. I'm sure the bayou that runs along the middle of our subdivision had over-run its banks yesterday and had spilled out into the park.

But today...... the sun came out this morning and hasn't left for a second. Yesterday's temperatures were in the low 90s, and today's temperature is close to 100, I would imagine. I went out this morning, for a trip to Kroger to get groceries. Whoooeeee...... how can I stand such excitement..... That store was too cold, as always, and I wanted to rush up and down the aisles and get what I needed and just get out of there as quickly as possible. But neither my mind nor my body is back to its normal speed, so I had to be content with my mosey-ing along pace and just grin and bear it as I made my way from one end of the store to the other.

I found some creepy-looking Halloween candy that young Miss C and her friends will love...... chocolate-covered eyeballs. They made me cringe, but they'll make the kids smile. I bought a bag of them for the Halloween party. I'm going to count the eyeballs out into a jar or a bag, and have the kids guess the amount....... I'll have a prize for the one with the closest guess, and the one whose guess is the furthest away will get the bag of eyeballs. That was about the best part of my grocery-shopping experience this morning. The next-best part was coming home with fresh fruits and vegetables, and I made huge salads for lunch today for my husband and myself. I truly missed having salads every day while I was sick........ all that chicken broth was making my brain mushy.... and I still say it's a wonder that I haven't turned yellow and sprouted feathers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home