Sprinkles

Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Pumpkins.....

Our young Miss C called us on her cell phone this afternoon..... could I pick her up at the high school? They're having mid-terms this week, so her schedule is off a little bit, and rather than waiting over an hour for her mom to get finished with work, C wanted to know if I could come and get her. Well, of course.

So off I went, and I know that C was pleased to have her friends see her getting into my little two-seater Thunderbird.... she had that little glint in her eye, being that most everyone else gets picked up in an over-sized SUV, or whatever they're calling those gas-guzzlers these days.

Instead of driving straight back to the subdivision, I decided to drive to one of the local gift shops to see if they had anything interesting for the Halloween party. The shop I went to didn't have all that much, and what they had was very over-priced, so I didn't buy a thing. But C and I had fun looking...... that girl loves to window-shop and doesn't mind just browsing.

I was heading towards the second gift shop in our area, but I felt myself getting tired again (more post-flu stuff) so I decided just to head back home. On the way, though, we passed one of the local churches whose property was filled with pumpkins. This particular church sells pumpkins every year.,... they put down hay all over their lawn and make the church grounds look like a pumpkin farm. All the money from the pumpkin-selling goes to the church and its programs. I'd rather give my pumpkin-money to a church than to a supermarket, so C and I stopped there and I asked her to pick out a dozen pumpkins for our front yard.

When we got back to our house, she helped me arrange them in the flowerbeds, and it looks very Halloween-y out there now. I must say that the twelve pumpkins looked like enough when they were in the trunk of my car, but out in our yard, it looks like we could use a few more.

Miss C asked me if I could pick her up from school again tomorrow afternoon, so I may just drive back to that church and buy some more pumpkins. We don't usually carve out the pumpkins.... it's too hot here, and they'll get all mushy and smelly if you carve them, plus the ants get into them and that's just a positively gross sight--- zillions of black ants crawling in and out of the face of a jack-o-lantern. Yuck... just the thought.......

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home