Sprinkles

Monday, October 16, 2006

Under the rainclouds....

That's right about where we've been for the past couple of days. The rain just hasn't quit for more than a few minutes at a time. It's a day like this when I thank my lucky stars that I don't have a job to go to, or any place in particular to be, because I would not have wanted to be taking my car out today.

It has rained so much today that the water level in the middle of our street has now covered the curbs. It looks like a lake outside, and the intersection up at the corner of our cul-de-sac is much deeper. We needed the rain, but not this much all at once. Classes have been cancelled, businesses have closed early....... and still, people are out there on the roads, and getting stranded in high water. I watched part of this evening news and there were dozens of cars on the Gulf Freeway that were totally immersed in rainwater. I have to wonder-- did those drivers just move here a few days ago? Surely they can't be long-time residents who should know better.

My friend in North Carolina called me this morning, to say hello and see if I was over the flu. As soon as I answered the phone and said hello, I heard A laughing at the other end of the line. She was surprised that my voice wasn't totally back to normal yet. Then she apologized for laughing because a year ago at this time, she was sick with her own flu. I remember that, because she had eMailed me to tell me that she had gone to her doctor for her yearly check-up, and his question to her was "Well, how are we doing these days?" A's answer was "I'm doing just fine.... I couldn't be any better if I tried." And the very next day, she got sick with the flu, and she stayed sick for the next five weeks. Of course, it was my belief that she picked up the flu germs while in her doctor's office.

I've been in the house all day today, and I stayed in all day yesterday as well. The two weekend trips downtown, to see The Blue Man Group on Friday night, and to see the movie on Greece at the Science Museum on Saturday afternoon..... both of those outings just wore me down, I guess. I am amazed myself at how many weeks this flu is staying with me. And I'm determined not to go to the doctor now. I'm guessing that these germs are nearly done with me, so I don't want to be picking up any new ones.

This living in slow motion is getting to me as well. I usually go through my days on fast-forward, doing one thing after another, wishing for more hours in a day. I haven't been able to move at that pace since I got this blessed flu, and it's making me just a tad bit cranky at times. Oh well, this too shall pass...... (my new mantra).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home