Sprinkles

Thursday, October 12, 2006

More rain.....

Another evening of soaking, pour-down rain. The morning started out just fine, with lots of sun, but quickly turned dark in late afternoon. What followed was a heavy rainstorm, with lots of good hard rain.

This morning, my husband and I drove to one of the waterfront communities, to have a look-see at "The Fun Shop." We spent nearly an hour and a half in there, looking at the Halloween costumes. The shop has lots of party things, for every occasion you can think of, but right now their main focus is on Halloween. My husband was looking at Halloween costumes for our party. He got some great ideas...... everything from Elvis to The Phantom of The Opera, from a pirate to a monk........ and everything inbetween. You can spend as little as $10, and as much as $200, depending on how elaborate you want the costume to be.

While we were in there, I also got ideas for costumes of my own. I didn't buy anything...... I can just go into my closets and put an outfit together. Like a 1920s "Flapper." The costume they were selling for nearly $50 had a short dress with fringe on the bottom. Well, I have a short black dress in my closet, with fringe on the hem, with a matching shawl with lots of fringe. I have long pearls to go with the dress, and black stockings and black heels.... and I can find some feathers and beaded things to put into my hair. Voila! A flapper! Without spending a dime.

Then there was the gypsy costume, also for close to $50.... they were selling a colorful skirt with lots of beads, a white blouse, lots of beaded necklaces. Well, I can get that out of my closet as well.... I have a few long skirts that are very colorful..... I have white blouses and beaded blouses, and I also have a bunch of beaded necklaces that I can put together.

I also have a long black skirt with an uneven, jagged hem...... if I put that together with a black top, plus black tights and heels, I could be a witch. I even have a witch's hat, found a few years ago at a yard sale for just a dollar. Usually, I put the witch's hat on the statue of the Victorian lady that's in our living room. Depending on the holiday, that statue is always "dressed" for the occasion.

I was able to keep my dental appointment this afternoon, and even managed not to cough or sneeze once during the cleaning. A new bakery opened up right next door to the dental office, so I went in there for a look-see after the appointment. Nice bakery, small in size, but big enough to offer quite a nice variety of cakes and cookies, muffins and scones, plus homemade soup. I bought a few things to bring home....... all very good, as close to a New York bakery as we can get down here. They had "black and white cookies," which sort of looked like the NY cookies, but my husband didn't think they were as good as the ones sold in the NY bakeries.

That seems to be the rule..... anything we remember from NY is never as good as whatever is offered here. Such as pizza, bagels, and those black and white cookies. Oh well...... click your red shoes together and repeat after me....... you're not in NY anymore.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home