Sprinkles

Sunday, October 15, 2006

Pouring rain for Sunday

Rain, rain, go away........ It's been raining since early this morning, with just a few breaks during the day when the clouds weren't sending down torrents of rain. I'm sure the news tomorrow will be filled with stories of the areas in and around downtown-- the same places that get flooded each and every blessed time it rains.

Speaking of the news, I've cancelled the daily paper..... we're just getting Sunday's paper from now on. I truly used to enjoy reading the paper from cover to cover every day, but for the past few months I can honestly say it was getting to be a chore. I couldn't ignore the paper, since I feel that as long as we're paying for the subscription, then I ought to be reading it and getting our money's worth out of it. My husband was just glancing at the daily paper, reading the headlines in the main section and the sports section, then reading his favorite comic strips.

Well, surprise, suprise...... the comics are available on-line, and so are the day's headlines. I called up The Chronicle and changed our subscription from every day-delivery to just Sunday delivery. I'm finding that I don't miss the daily newspaper, and that surprises me. When we're up at the lake, we don't have the paper delivered up there, plus we don't have a television up there either--- which means we don't know all about the bad things going on around the world, which we don't miss.

Speaking of bad things..... we heard on CNN tonight about the earthquake in Hawaii. I still haven't gotten all the details yet...... I don't know which of the islands was hit by the quake. Was it the big island of Hawaii? Or was it one or two of the smaller islands? I wish these newspeople would be more specific when they give you a 15-second bulletin. Is that too much to ask?

I am still reading James Michener's Hawaii, and I'm enjoying every word, every page, every chapter. Amazing to me that the first missionaries to go to the island of Hawaii couldn't get past the fact that the Hawaiian people treasured their history, their customs, their gods. And why couldn't the missionaries have been more patient? Seems to me that their only goal was to go to those islands and convert everyone... just so they could say they "turned heathens into Christians."


Our friends have been calling to RSVP for the Halloween party.... I will end up calling the usual small group of friends who just never seem to RSVP. When I call them, they tell me Well of course we're coming, that's why I didn't call. Still others will say We can't make it to this one, that's why I didn't call. What I'd like to do is give everyone a teeny lesson as to just what RSVP means, but of course I wouldn't do that. I've just come to know, over the years, who will call and who won't, and that's just that.


My husband and I have bought tickets to see a Christmas show downtown with our young Miss C and her best friend L. Last December, we took the girls to see "The Nutcracker" ballet downtown. This year, the Rockettes from New York's Radio City Music Hall will be in town with their "Christmas Spectacular." My dad used to take me to Radio City every year to see the Christmas Show, and we went to Radio City during the year as well for movies and the stage show. I haven't seen the Rockettes since the last time I went with my dad, so I thought this would be a fun thing to do with the girls. In all the years we've lived here, the Radio City Christmas Show has never been to Houston, so I thought we should all take advantage of this December's performance. It will be a nice Christmas treat for the girls, and of course my husband and I get to enjoy their excitement as well, which is a treat for us.

I'm way behind on my Christmas preparations..... usually, by this time of the year, I have our Christmas cards all written out and ready to go, the Christmas gifts are all bought, wrapped, boxed and ready to mail, and the favors for our Christmas Open House are all ready. Not this year........ between all the trips we took, and being busy with the lake cottage, I've just not been able to get around to all of that. With the Halloween party coming up this month, I will just have to wait till that's over before I can get to thinking about Christmas. Jingle bells...... once again, Christmas will be here in a heartbeat.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home