Sprinkles

Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Back into the real world....

After these weeks of being sick with the flu, this morning was an adventure. We both went into League City for haircuts, then I walked around J's antique shop for a little while. Didn't buy a thing.... J's friend L told me that I must still be sick if I didn't find one little thing to buy.

My husband and I drove to one of our favorite Chinese restaurants for lunch..... even that didn't taste as good as I remembered it to be. (Not so with the Greek food from Sunday's festival-- every bite of that has been delicious, and there's still some in the fridge.) On the way back from the Chinese restaurant, both of us noticed all the road work being done...... which only means that this entire area is just being over-built and is over-populated. We just hate that. I remember years ago when we bought this house and I vowed that I'd never be moving out of this house or out of this area. Now, seeing how many high-rise condos that are being planned for the waterfront here, I've changed my tune on that old song.

While we were eating our lunch, my husband and I talked about our trip to Hawaii..... how beautiful it all was, how under-populated...... and we again discussed the possibility of moving there. Of course, before we did something like that, we'd be doing more research other than talking about it while eating vegetable dumplings and fried rice. How would it really be to live there? How convenient or inconvenient? And we'd be surrounded by water........ could I deal with that?
A lot to think about, a lot to look into, a lot more discussions, needless to say.

Anyway....... yesterday during a burst of post-flu energy, I started to decorate the house for Halloween. Out came those huge honeycomb-crape-paper pumpkins that I hang from the ceiling, and the porcelain pumpkins, and the tiny plastic pumpkins.... the same decorations that I use every year, but I keep using them in different places so the house doesn't look the same every year. Out of the closet came all of the Halloween party favors that I bought during the after-Halloween sales last year.... good thing I looked at what I already had before going shopping for more goodies. I also found the Mark Roberts' Halloween ladies that I had bought last year-- also after Halloween, so the prices were much cheaper than the retail price. I've got one of those ladies in the middle of the dining room table-- I've got her sitting on top of a porcelain pumpkin. Wildly funny, with her dark red hair tied up in a bun, a spider hanging from the strands of her hair..... a mole on her cheek, a very pointy chin, high-heeled shoes decorated with rhinestones, and her outfit is black and gold. The expression on her face is priceless, and seems to be saying "I can trick your treat, honey!"

The other, larger Halloween lady is sitting on the buffet in the dining room...... a taller version of the smaller lady, more ornately dressed in black and gold and orange, with lots of spidery-lace on her cape. The same crazy red hair, more spiders dangling from the top of her bun, long eyelashes..... she will be the hit of the party, I'm sure. I will have to remember to check that gift shop after Halloween this year, to see what I can buy for next year when they discount the prices. Hate to pay full-price for things, especially the way these stores discount everything as soon as the holiday is over. They'd rather sell it cheaply than store it for the following year.

Pouring rain now, and the sky is getting darker. Guess I'd better shut this computer down before we start getting thunder and lightning.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home