Sprinkles

Saturday, September 17, 2005

Scrabble Night

What started out as a slow and lazy morning turned into a busy afternoon. My husband spoke to our young friend C around lunch-time, and within the hour, we arranged a pot-luck dinner and Scrabble game. Myself and my husband, and C and her parents.

The funny thing is that I had been wondering if any of our friends liked to play Scrabble--- for the simple reason that I had found tiny stick-on replicas of Scrabble letters, designed for scrapbooks, but I knew they would be great for placecards. Now if that isn't a reason for an impromptu party, then I don't know what is. I bought those little letters over a year ago, and tucked them away with my invitations and placecards and party things. The special part of those little letters is that they're made of thin wood blocks, so they actually looked like mini Scrabble letters on the heavy cardstock that I used for the placecards.

Well, I have to say that not only did they make the perfect placecards for tonight, but everyone was surprised and happy to see their names spelled out in Scrabble letters at their place-settings. Turned out to be the perfect thing to make everyone smile as they went into our dining room tonight. Even my husband was surprised, because I had just tucked them away after I bought them so long ago and he hadn't seen them before this evening.

The potluck dinner turned out very well....... I made crawfish cakes (my own crabcake recipe, except I used crawfish), plus a tossed salad, fresh guacamole, warm bread, and steamed broccoli. C's mom brought a corn/avacado/tomato salad, and asparagus in a light vinegarette dressing. My husband went out to Goodies Creamery and came back with four flavors of their homemade ice cream for dessert. Hard to pick out just four flavors when they offer 88 choices.... and it's the best ice cream around here, bar none.

We played Scrabble after dinner, with two teams.... girls against the guys. We thought of the "C factor," being that it's hard for a 14-yr-old to compete against four adults, so we let C look at the dictionary from time to time, and I gave her a few hints about the letters she had. Poor thing had more consonants than vowels for the whole game. The guys won, but only by two points. We girls demanded a rematch, of course, but decided to save it for another night being that it was already getting late. We all had fun, and that's what counts.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home