Sprinkles

Saturday, September 10, 2005

The Weekend Sneaks Up.........

How did it get to be Saturday already? The days are just flying by, it seems. But I've been saying that a lot these days. Maybe it really is true..... the older you get, the more quickly time seems to pass.

There was an interesting item on CNN the other day. The Powers That Be in Houston have planned to relocate all the Louisiana residents who are now in the Astrodome-- before Sept. 16, I believe the date was. And why did they pick that particular date? Because the first football game will be held at Reliant Stadium that weekend. The brand new football stadium is right next to the Astrodome. I guess they don't want their precious football fans to be inconvenienced by having reality stare them in the face.

I have a feeling that New Orleans will never again be the same. I'm sure it will be rebuilt after a time, but the flavor that once was will not be there again. How could it be, with all the people making New Orleans New Orleans being shipped off to other states.

And if I hear one more person saying that "the people in New Orleans are just different," I think I will just scream. That statement isn't being made in a positive light, which is why I'm taking exception to it. One thing that I wish people would just understand: no matter where we were planted on this planet, no matter what language we speak, no matter what color we are, no matter what our customs are--- we are all the same. THE SAME. THE BLESSED SAME.

There isn't a person walking this earth that is any better than the next person. Some may have better lives than others, but that's because different and/or better opportunities were available are were taken. And even the word "better" in that sentence is relative. There are people who think they have better lives but who are totally clue-less in all that is good.

And what prompted this outburst? A donation box at one of the stores, and one woman who tossed in a bag of canned goods while saying out loud: "I just don't know why on earth I should have to give food to people who can't get out there and get a job and get their own food!" -- She made eye-contact with me as she started to walk away, and I'm sure she knew that I heard every word she said. I thought of telling her how uncharitable she was being, and how un-Christian-like she was with her judgment, but I didn't say a word. I'm old enough now to know that when people are ignorant like that, there's no way that a few words are going to enlighten their closed-up minds. And I'll bet that woman wasn't from Texas. And I'll also bet that she had no friends or family from either Mississippi or Louisiana.

Anyway........ today is shaping up to be a cloudy day. Dark sky, thunder, and rain is very likely to find us pretty soon. Perfect day to get busy with the invitations for our Halloween party. I've already started on the party-favors and prizes. I'm planning to invite our young friend C and her parents, along with C's friend L and her parents. C is getting old enough now to be invited to our Charades group. Hard to believe that she's not a little girl anymore. She is definitely growing into a little lady........ who loves to have tea parties, and still loves her Barbie dolls as well. Our friends K & B said to me that C has had a "story-book" life. Indeed she has. And that's what has made her such a special child.

Speaking of that special child.... C's mother asked me if my husband and I would "take responsibility for C" should anything ever happen to her and her husband. Without a moment's hesitation, I told her that of course we would. L (C's mom) asked me if I needed to think about that, or talk it over with my husband before giving a definite answer as to being C's legal guardians, should the need ever arise. I told L that my answer was already "definite," and my husband would totally agree with that. Then I asked her why she chose my husband and I, rather than someone in either her family or her husband's family. She told me that when she and her husband talked this over with their daughter, C told them that she wouldn't go with anyone else except us.

So now I know why C always says to me "I love you more!" when I tell her that I love her. Lately, I've been countering her response with "I love you most!" .... and now she's coming back with "I love you most-est!" What a kid...... I just love her to pieces, as they say down here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home