Sprinkles

Sunday, January 23, 2005

Sunday Breakfast

My husband made breakfast this morning... at six o'clock. I was sound asleep and he came into the bedroom with his gourmet creation. It smelled delicious, so I got out of bed and went to the breakfast room. (I really don't like to eat in bed.)

His breakfast creation is based on our love of Greek food. Our local bagel bakery makes a spinach bagel. Not a green bagel with a tiny bit of spinach thrown into the dough, but a nice soft golden bagel with an indentation in the middle instead of a hole. Into the middle is a generous serving of creamed spinach. Pop that into the microwave for a minute and you have a wonderful spinach-y bagel.

My husband's idea was to slice the spinach bagel and fill it with a cooked egg and a slice of feta cheese. He put the whole thing into the microwave to warm up the feta. Totally delicious. Sort of like spanikopita (Greek spinach pie) without the crispy pastry.

It is freezing outside this morning. Frost on the grass. Frost on the roof. Absolutely freezing. Just when we thought the cold snaps were over, we get a blast from up north. But I saw pictures in this morning's Chronicle and northern cities are knee-deep in snow. So I guess I'll stop complaining right now about frost.

Today's the perfect day to make soup, so I guess that's what I'll do. Lentil soup for me, crawfish bisque for my husband. I've been on a lentil soup kick for the past few months. Which isn't a bad thing... lentils are one of life's perfect foods. But with lentils, you either love them or hate them.

The cats must know how cold it is outside. They all used the litter boxes earlier this morning and now they're all sound asleep again. What a life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home