Sprinkles

Friday, January 21, 2005

Friday's Jewelry Show

I think my husband might be composing a letter to The Powers That Be at Reliant Center... asking them not to host any more jewelry shows. Not only once a year... they host this Gem & Jewelry Show four times a year. Every year. Be still my heart.

I usually do a pretty good job of not going overboard. There are so many booths filled with estate jewelry... one-of-a-kind vintage pieces that just take your breath away. They also can take your life savings away, because those huge pieces of jewelry can run into the tens of thousands of dollars. So I just look at those, and say ooh and aah and various sounds of breathless sighs.

Today, however.... one little necklace caught my eye. Not an estate piece (because those are always so huge and over-the-top) but a necklace for an every-day lifestyle. And did I mention that it was diamonds.... from end to glorious end. Not over-the-top. Something you can either wear every day, or wear for extra-special occasions.

Do I or don't I? Should I or shouldn't I? I stood there for half an hour. Trying it on, taking it off. Haggling with the nice man behind the counter. We were $200 away from what I thought was the perfect price. He asked me if I would walk away from the necklace for just $200. I asked him if he would send me away for just $200. In the end, I got the necklace at my price. Glorious diamonds from end to end.

Of course, I thought of using my friend A's cell phone to call my husband and ask his advice about that necklace. But I never do that. I don't know why I thought of doing it this afternoon. I thought of what my husband's mom would tell me: "Buy what you love, honey, and ask questions later." (What a woman.)

When I got home, I told my husband that I just saved him so much time... "You don't have to shop for my birthday... you don't have to shop for Valentine's Day... you don't have to shop for Easter... you don't have to shop for Mother's Day." (I'm not a mom but he always gets me something from the cats and Gracie.) He liked the necklace and seemed impressed with the difference between the retail price and the wholesale price of the jewelry. He asked me if I loved it. I said yes. "Then that's all that matters," he said. (What a guy.)

Other great stuff at the jewelry show... shawls and scarves and wraps of all kinds, all materials, all colors. Crocheted, beaded, ruffled... you name it. A and I bought the ruffled ones... mine in pink, hers in green. I found a crocheted shawl, complete with fringe and beads... had to buy that one also. Wholesale prices.... how can you go wrong....

The next jewelry show is in April. I think I'll leave the checkbook home. Just to be on the safe side.........

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home