Sprinkles

Thursday, February 07, 2008

What to wear..... or not to wear.....

My husband came home from work last night and I was in the dressing room surrounded by six black skirts, seven tops and three pairs of shoes. Plus the shoes I was wearing didn't match-- one was a high-heeled suede, the other was a satin sandal with a rhinestone heart near the toes. I bought those sandals a few years ago just for Valentine's day, and I've been wearing those to all of our Valentine's parties since then. Depending on the skirt, I may or may not wear them this weekend.

Ever since I started watching that show "What Not to Wear," I inspect every item in my closet when I'm putting an outfit together. I can't begin to count the number of things that I have given away to charity-- all the things that broke the rules of that television show. My new rule is that if I take something out of the closet and don't love the way it looks, into the donation bag it goes. Someone else (with very little else) is sure to love it.)

Last night, I was trying to figure out what to wear for our Valentine's party this weekend. My basic dressy outfits always start with a black skirt, following my Aunt Dolly's rule of "You can never go wrong with a perfect black skirt." Trouble is, I have a lot of favorite skirts, and they're all black..... some are straight, some A-line, one has pleats near the hem, another has flounces, and another has ruffles. All are so pretty, but you need to match the right skirt with the right top, then get the right shoes..... which is what I was doing last night for over an hour.

By the time my husband came home, I had the perfect skirt with the perfect top..... and I was deciding on the shoes, which is why I had a different shoe on each foot. My husband took one look and said that no one would bother looking at my feet anyway because I looked so good in the skirt and top. (What a guy!) Then he walked over to his own closet and pulled out the first shirt that his hand touched, held it up to himself and asked me "Tell me the truth... does this shirt make my butt look big?" (Men.... all they have to do is grab a shirt and slacks and they're good to go as long as they can find two socks that match-- and my husband never has trouble finding socks because I match them all when I take them out of the dryer.)

Well, now that my clothes are set, I can get the house ready for the party. Which would have been done today, but the cats will be sleeping inside the house tonight because it's still a little cool out on the screen-porch..... one more night inside for them. Tomorrow morning after breakfast-- out on the screen-porch they will go, and I will be turning our living room into a party room with the extra tables and chairs.

Also tomorrow morning, the bedroom dresser will be delivered.... for the second time. I called up the salesman at the store, just to make sure he knew what had happened with the first delivery. Plus I felt that whoever is in charge at the warehouse should know that a good piece of furniture left there without being fully inspected. So tomorrow will be a busy day..... lots to do, getting everything ready for the party, and finishing up with the bedroom.

Thankfully, it's supposed to be sunny and very warm....... which is really nice. We had a perfectly awful January, so February is looking like the start of our summer. (From my lips to the weather god's ears.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home