Sprinkles

Friday, February 01, 2008

Is that the sun I see?

Finally, finally... the sun has made an appearance-- two days in a row. Still cooler than usual out there, but at least the sky is blue. Although, yesterday morning was awful-- pouring-down rain and high winds and you would think we were in the middle of a tornado. Then by noon-time, all of that quit and the sun came out and we had a beautiful day. A cold one, but nice and clear. I don't know about the rest of this town, but I am certainly ready for 80 - 90 degrees, and even higher. I don't think the temperature is going to get higher than 60 degrees today--- much too cold for me.

We went furniture shopping yesterday afternoon-- our second trip to the local and downtown furniture outlets, looking for new bedroom furniture. When my husband asked me what I wanted for my birthday, I told him that I would like to (finally, finally, finally!) get rid of the two bedroom dressers that we have now. Those dressers are nearly thirty years old, which isn't old if it's beautiful vintage furniture, but these dressers were from my old house up in NY, and ever since I moved them here to Texas, I'd been wishing I'd left them up in NY.

We kept saying we'd replace those dressers (and get a headboard for the bed) but we just never got around to it. The end tables were sold when I had my resale shop years ago, and the headboard was carried out to the curb for trash pick-up when I still lived in NY. But the dressers.... they just seemed to always be here. Come to think of it, I don't know why we didn't move them up to the lake house when we bought that, but we just didn't do it.

But now..... they will be gone before the start of next week, hopefully. I've called some of the people I know who work for local charities. I've told them they can have the dressers for free if they will just come here with a truck and pick them up and give them to someone who can't afford to buy their own.

After two trips to six or eight different furniture stores, my husband and I found a bedroom set that we both liked (his taste is more traditional than mine)..... beautiful bed, night-tables, two dressers. I didn't like the dresser that came with the set, but I found a gorgeous one that goes with all the rest of the furniture we picked out. Everything will be delivered next week, and I can hardly wait. Besides that bed, which is so pretty with it's high headboard and carved footboard, I know my favorite part of the room will be that dresser. I almost didn't buy it, because the price of the dresser was higher than all the other pieces. I kept looking around the store, trying to find a more reasonably-priced dresser, but after seeing this one, there was just no comparison. My husband kept telling me to just buy it, and I'm sure the salesman didn't want me to buy a less expensive one, but he didn't say a word. Finally, I justified the high price by knowing that this will probably be the last master-bedroom dresser that I will ever buy. So why settle for something I wasn't going to be happy with.....

I've already started to pull apart our bedroom here. I've moved furniture around, taking out the end tables that we had by our bed. We didn't want to give those away, so I found other spots in the house for them. I switched out the bedroom lamps..... those are in my sitting room now, and I put antique brass lamps in the bedroom, which will look nicer on the new night-tables, and will be higher next to the new headboard. I pulled off the dust-ruffle and washed that, so it will be clean and ready to go on the new bed. (The bed looks quite weird without a dust-ruffle.)

Just a few more days..... and the "old" bedroom will be just a memory. And it's about time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home