Sprinkles

Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Right back at me...

I had decided to celebrate a birthday this year for a very good and long-time friend who was so ill last year that I was afraid of never being able to wish her a Happy Birthday again. The two of us had long ago stopped exchanging gifts... so long ago that I don't even remember when we last did hand one another a wrapped and ribboned package.

Rather than send her something wrapped up in pretty paper, I decided to do something special and generous in her name. I did just that, and sent her a card telling her just how her birthday would be "celebrated" right here in Texas, while she was celebrating with her family and friends up north. She called to tell me that my card made her cry. Which, of course, wasn't my intention, but looking back now, I can understand why it did.

The other day, this same friend sent me a card, filled with beautiful thank-you words, and a generous (very generous) amount of money, asking me to buy special things for special kids to make them smile. Her card made me cry.

When I pulled myself together, I went out to the stores, and did what she asked me to do. When all of her money had been spent, I called her to tell her how overwhelmed I was with her card, and I told her that it made me cry as well. And, of course, I told her just what I was able to buy with her money.

It's a wonder that we both didn't start crying all over again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home