Sprinkles

Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Wet and rainy 4th....

It's been raining on and off around the Houston area for days on end, and today has been no different. The ground is so soaked that you can hardly walk on the grass. One of the tropical plants in the front of our house is actually drooping and is leaning towards the ground, so I'm guessing that it has had too much rain this past week.

Most of the little towns have cancelled their July 4th celebrations, and I don't know if the fireworks show in the downtown area is still scheduled for tonight. We don't drive downtown for that anyway... too much traffic, too hard getting in and out of the city for that kind of event, so we just stay in the area here for fireworks. Being that we had two nights' worth of fireworks up at the lake this past weekend, we feel as if we've already celebrated the 4th of July, so we'll probably watch the "Boston Pops" on television.

We thought we'd go to the movies this afternoon, to see the new Robin Williams' movie. Robin was on the Larry King show last night and (as always) he was hysterical. When we got to the theatre, which has 15 separate movie screens, half of Clear Lake seemed to be there and the parking lot (which is super-huge) was filled with cars (mostly trucks, actually) and people were parking in lots for other shopping centers and just walking over to the theatre. My husband figured he would drop me at the door so I could buy the tickets while he parked the car, but the ticket line was so long that people were waiting in the rain. Between the rain-soaked ticket line and the parking situation, I suggested that we just go to the movies another day.

We went to Target and Toys R Us instead, in search of the double-nine dominoes. We didn't find the double-nines, but Target had double-twelves, so we bought those. The game is played the same way, but just takes longer because you're starting the countdown from twelve rather than nine.

It was too early to go out for dinner, which we thought we'd do after the movie, so we just went to the supermarket and bought something for tonight, being that I hadn't defrosted anything. My husband bought a package of hot dogs.... which I kind of figured he would buy, because we watched the Nathan's Coney Island Hot Dog Eating Contest this morning. The winner (Joey Chestnut) ate 66 hot dogs in twelve minutes..... a new record, and he finally broke the winning streak of the young man from Japan (who has won for the last six years-- I won't even attempt to spell his name). 66 hot dogs (with the rolls, of course)...... that's just an incredible number. I used to love hot dogs when I was a kid, but haven't touched one in more than twenty years.


We were going to call up Miss C and invite them over for a domino game, but I just don't feel like it tonight. My foot is bothering me again, I guess because of all the walking around the stores this afternoon, so all I feel like doing is having some hot soup for dinner and then reading a book. The rain has quit for the moment, but it doesn't look to be clearing up out there.

Doctor's appointment tomorrow, to have a look-see at this foot. Oh goodie. (And that's a serious oh goodie.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home