Sprinkles

Thursday, July 12, 2007

Pajama Delivery

I went to the local church today with the bundle of pajamas for the infant program there...... I met the girl that I spoke to over the phone yesterday, and I felt like I was meeting an old friend when we first saw one another.

First of all, her enthusiasm over the phone yesterday just overwhelmed me..... she was so excited to be getting pajamas from the Houston Chapter, because they just never have enough of everything they need for the infants there. Then when I met her--- and I knew right away somehow just who she was, even though she was walking towards me with a small group of women who work with her in the infant program.

I just walked right up to her, in the midst of all the other women, and told her You must be.... She gave me a big hug and she had tears in her eyes when she saw how many pajamas I had for "her" babies.

She asked me how I knew which one of the five women was her, and I told her that I picked her out just because of her smile and her look, which reminds me so much of my friend F up in NY. Both of them just have that same bubbly-ness about them... friendly smile, enthusiastic attitude... just something inside that says "Here I am... let's talk!" And, as I talked with the girl from the church (who's about the same age as both me and my NY friend), I found out that this girl is also originally from New York... Valley Stream, Long Island, for goodness sake. So that was a surprise as well.

She was so happy to get the size 10 pajamas for the little boy she told me about over the phone.... and I wrapped up some books for him as well, and put everything into a bright blue gift bag. I wish I could have seen his face when he saw his much-wanted pajamas. Just the thought of this poor child wishing and hoping for a pair of pajamas, when so much in his life is upside-down at the moment....... if that isn't enough to tug at the heartstrings, I don't know what is.

I think our Pajama Program chapter will have a long relationship with this church and all the other groups involved within the church. The ladies I spoke to today are going to tell all the other women about the Chapter, and they would like to get everyone together so I can come back and speak to all of them at once.... as a "guest speaker." (My, my... who would have thought.)

I met the pastor of the church today..... very nice priest from England... he seemed to be embarrassed to be holding up the tiny infant pajamas for the photo I took of them all, but he was very excited that I'd be delivering pajamas... not only for the infant program of that church, but for the toddlers and young children as well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home