Sprinkles

Saturday, October 21, 2006

Homecoming Saturday

Tonight is the "Homecoming" dance at the high school....... young Miss C is there with all of her friends, and I hope she's having a great time. My husband and I drove to her house early this evening when she had finished getting dressed up, and she looked perfectly adorable. The turquoise dress just shimmered with silver sparkles in the fabric, and she found silver sandals and a small silver purse.... she looked like a Barbie doll, honestly.

My husband was surprised, I think, to see her looking so lady-like. We usually see Miss C in jeans or shorts, with tee-shirts and tank-tops, and her hair is usually pulled back into a pony-tail. Tonight her hair was straight down to the top of her shoulders, and she put on just a tiny touch of eye make-up and lipstick, plus little earrings and a silver rhinestone necklace to go with her dress. A walking, talking little Barbie doll, I swear.

Earlier this morning, C and I went to some of the local yard sales. I picked her up at 7:00 and off we went before the sun came up. Didn't buy all that much today, but C found a few dolphin things for her ever-growing collection of dolphins up at the lake cabin...... and I found a vintage wooden chair for just five dollars. Nice chair that had been painted white, and the woman who was selling it had recovered the cushion with a pretty floral fabric. I was going to bring the chair up to the cottage, but right now it's in the screen porch here and Mickey Kitty has already claimed it as his. I also bought a very pretty Lenox serving plate for seventy-five cents.... perfect to use for the parties. And I also found some vintage things to sell on eBay.... and a few books....... and a carved wooden bear from England (for the cottage)........ and a croquet set (also for the cottage). Come to think of it, I guess I bought more than I thought I did.

I made some phone calls today, to some of our friends who haven't RSVP'd for the Halloween party.......... "Of course we're coming... that's why I didn't bother to call.....!" The same thing happens for every party..... Everything is just about set for the party, except of course for the last-minute things. Favor bags are all ready, for everyone who is definitely coming..... and as I get the last few RSVPs, I have enough things to fill the rest of the party bags. This week starts the harder stuff......... rearranging some of the living room furniture to make room for everyone, cleaning the house, keeping the cats in the screen-porch till after the party is over, and going to Kroger for the groceries. I haven't decided yet what to cook for the party. I may take out the punch bowl and toss up a huge fresh salad........ there's always so many sweet things and covered casseroles at these Charades parties, and never enough green vegetables, so I may do that.

And I've got that huge cookie-cutter in the shape of a pumpkin........ I had planned on cutting out pumpkin-shaped sandwiches from dark whole wheat bread, filling them with pimento-cheese spread........ I thought the orange and brown colors would look very Halloween-y. I will look through my recipe books and see if I get inspired to make anything else. We usually have more food than we could all possibly eat........ and three people are bringing desserts, so I'm not even going to bother with baking anything.

By the time next Saturday night, we will all be laughing so hard at the Charades clues that our sides will be hurting.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home