Sprinkles

Sunday, October 22, 2006

After the dance....

Our young Miss C rode over here on her bicycle today, to return the shawl I let her borrow for her Homecoming Dance last night. Come to think of it, nearly every time that girl has a party or dance to go to, one of my accessories goes along with her. Kind of nice, in my opinion.

The weather is cool today (mid-70s, I think) so I made us some hot chocolate and she had some cookies and told us all about last night's dance. Her comment about the entire night: It was interesting.

Interesting? I was waiting for all the adjectives like "Great! A blast! Perfect! Fun! Can't wait to do it again!" Those never came out in her description. The dance was held in the lunchroom of the high school. (The lunchroom?) C said the decorating committee did their best to cover up the walls and the kitchen counters, but she said "It still looked and smelled like a lunchroom." Well, that didn't make me happy, to know that The Powers That Be at the school couldn't do more for the kids to make the Homecoming Dance more memorable.

C's group of friends stayed at the dance for under two hours (after first having dinner at a local restaurant), then they went to the bowling lanes, then they went to one kid's house and watched a movie. C said that she and her group of friends vowed not to go to next year's Homecoming Dance. And me being me, I suggested that she and her friends get together and make their own Homecoming Party at one of their homes. My idea was to see whose parents would host the party, and everyone could either chip in money for catered food, or everyone could bring food to the host's house, as we do for our "potluck dinners." I told Miss C that they could get all dressed up, and make it a special night of their own if they didn't want to be dancing in the high school's lunchroom. C thought that was a great idea, and she's going to try and get her friends to do just that next year.

While C was here this afternoon, we looked through another photo album.... this album was one from 1993 - 1994. She saw pictures of the small house we rented when we first got down here, and she saw photos of Rusty when he was a much younger, just-found stray cat. I had lots of pictures of the mansions in Galveston in that album, and I was surprised that C has never been on a tour of the inside of those hundred-plus-year-old homes. Her eyes lit up-- she didn't even know you could go inside of them. We put that on our list of things to do. I swear, this child loves old things, antique treasures, and loves to see how people lived way before she was born. Such a natural curiosity in her, and such a gentle spirit....... makes for a beautiful, well-rounded child. Child? Teen-ager.

My cousin R called me up this morning...... she's thinking of flying down to Texas again, during the upcoming Election/Veteran's Day holidays in early November. She has days off from work then, and she thought it would be a great time to visit here again. I told her that was fine with me.... and I suggested that she call the airlines ASAP to see what tickets she can get at this short notice. I also told my dear cousin that we wouldn't be spending all our time in SteinMart. I have lots of friends here who want to meet her, Miss C being at the top of that list. C wants to know what a real city girl looks like. And my cousin is indeed that..... more so than me, and I think that's going some. I'm trying not to get excited..... I won't get my hopes up until she calls back to tell me she has bought the tickets.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home