Sprinkles

Monday, May 08, 2006

Birthday Dinner for L

We celebrated C's mom's birthday last night...... we went to a local Thai restaurant for dinner. Just the four of us...... me and my husband, C and her mom....... the dad will be back from his Louisiana job later on this week, and I'm sure they'll be celebrating her birthday once again. The Thai restaurant always serves such fresh and delicious food, plus it's a small, quiet place with tablecloths and gracious service.... always such a treat to go there.

Instead of having dessert at the restaurant, we came back here for cake and tea. That idea was a last-minute decision in the afternoon, because my husband remembered L telling her husband that she always made birthday cakes for everyone else but no one had made one for her in a long time. I had cake mixes in the pantry, and frostings, so we got busy here and put together a chocolate cake. While that was in the oven, I set the dining room table and made birthday placecards. For a hastily put-together party-for-4, the table looked very nice in blue and ivory.

This past Saturday, our young Miss C surprised her mom with a little lunch-party at their house. While L was off doing her usual Saturday morning errands, her friends came to her house at the invitation of C, everyone bringing something to contribute to a pot-luck birthday lunch. C had invited us last week, but we couldn't go because of the trip to the Hill Country. C wanted to postpone the party until we got back, but I told her that that wouldn't be right, and I suggested she just go ahead with her plans and we'd celebrate with the two of them the day after.

When we went to C's house to pick them up for dinner yesterday evening, I was tickled by the decorations that C put up in the breakfast room for her mom's surprise lunch. The chandelier above the breakfast room table had curls of ribbon hanging down towards the table, and there was a birthday banner across the breakfast bar, and bundles of balloons in the corners. I had to smile at the curls of ribbon, because that's what I've done here, and C has always loved that idea. To see that she had done the same thing for her own party made me just smile.

During dinner last night, C and her mom asked about the cottage, and C especially is getting very anxious about it. I've told her just to keep her fingers crossed and hope for the best, and that my husband will do the best he can with the offer and negotiations. Poor little C is worse than I am.... she already has a "pile of stuff" to take to the cottage to make the little loft bedroom her own, and she plans to make us a blanket for the bed. I told her not to start making anything, not to start packing up anything... to just wait till everything is "signed, sealed and delivered."

From my lips to my own ears.... that's where those words should go. I, too, am anxious. I, too, want that house and that property. But, to quote our little Miss C-- "I don't want to rejoice until I know for sure."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home