Sprinkles

Monday, May 01, 2006

Mexican Non-Labor Day

Today was a day of non-work for Mexican immigrants...... they're looking to make a point, to show how many jobs they hold in certain areas. I'm not sure if they did this nationwide or not, but I could see the difference just in this area on this one day.

I went to the local bakery to buy some ground coffee, and the store was closed. As I stood in front of the store reading the sign which stated they were closed because of the Immigrant Rally Day, I remembered that all of the employees of that bakery are Mexicans. Illegal immigrants or citizens....I have no idea, but they're all Mexicans.

After that, I went up to Kroger to get some grocery shopping done. A lot of the shelves were empty, and a lot of the produce displays were empty. There were carts filled with boxes of fresh fruit and vegetables, all waiting to be unpacked. Looking around at the employees in the store this morning, I didn't see any Mexican workers at all, which is unusual for that store, because a lot of their employees come from Mexico.

All day long, I didn't hear one lawn-mower going.... and I realized that all of the lawn services are either owned by Mexicans or staffed by Mexicans. Monday is also a trash pick-up day, and I was wondering if the trucks would come around. They did, much later than usual, but I didn't look outside to see what nationality the workers were today. But on the days that I have seen the trash trucks, all of those men are Mexicans.

Well, the immigrants have made their point, and I would say it was a success. Say what you will about letting Mexican immigrants into Texas, but these hard-working people are filling the jobs that most Texans don't want.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home