Sprinkles

Monday, April 24, 2006

Gorgeous weather......

After that heavy rainshower the other day, we've had beautiful weather. Sunny, glorious days with a tropical breeze stirring the 90-degree temperatures. We went to the Kemah waterfront yesterday for lunch.... we got there before noon-time, and the parking lots were nearly full. At least half a dozen tour buses were taking up a lot of parking spots. I'm sure those bus riders were most likely from towns inland which lack the gulf views. And summer has just barely begun....... heaven only knows how early we'll have to drive into Kemah come June or July.

I've found a fun web-site.... DesignHerGals.com --- it was advertised in the latest issue of Oprah's magazine and I went to it for a look-see. The site enables you to design your own "gal," whether in your own image or someone else's...... and you can get notecards or other stationary items printed up, either by the site, or with your own computer. I put together a gal that resembles me, and one that resembles my sister, and I ordered some notecards for the both of us. I will send them to my sister for her birthday this summer. She'll get a kick of them, I'm sure, especially since I took great pains to design my sister's gal in the clothing and accessories that my sister would wear--- casual for the clothing, light on the accessories. My sister isn't into fussy and frilly, the way I am, so I tried to remember that as I scanned through all the options on the web-site. That site is like an on-line version of paper dolls...... lots of fun, and it doesn't cost you anything to play around with it...... money only comes into play if you place an order.

Piano lesson tomorrow....... and I can't wait. My song this past week was "Malaguena," and when K showed me the music sheets for it last week, I sat at her piano and cringed. "Do you expect me to learn that in just one week?" She said of course she did. Well, hush my puppies (as they say in Savannah)..... I did just that. Not only did I learn the song in just a couple of days, but I've been playing it over and over and I just absolutely love it. I thought my husband would get tired of hearing it, so I alternated playing it with some of the other songs that I learned before that. I keep going backwards in my lesson books, using the "older" songs as warm-ups for the music that I'm supposed to be learning for the current lesson.

One night while I was playing "Malaguena," my husband dashed into the living room holding a long bath-towel, with Gracie right at his heels..... he swept up the bath-towel as if it were a cape, and he was trying to get Gracie to play the part of the bull. It just cracked me up so much that I had to stop playing because I lost my place in the notes. Another evening while I played, my husband came into the living room with a silk rose between his teeth. I didn't laugh quite so hard at that one, and he's since given up the Spanish-style skits to go along with the music.


I am re-reading "Midnight In the Garden of Good and Evil," by John Berendt. Truly a wonderful book, and I've been wanting to go to Savannah ever since the first time I read it. We plan to visit there sometime this summer, so I'm reading the book again so the story and its characters and that beautiful city will be fresh in my mind. This true story is so well-written that it just brings you right into Savannah as if you're living there. When that book came out years ago, tourists flocked to Savannah in record numbers, searching for the mansions and the characters mentioned in the book. The book is still quite popular, and so is Savannah, although I'm sure some of those main characters have passed away by now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home