Sprinkles

Friday, April 14, 2006

Salmon-Crabcakes

That's what I'm planning on baking for Easter dinner....... salmon-crabcakes, topped with crushed pistachio nuts. I cooked the salmon this afternoon, and tomorrow, I'll mix in the crab, along with the onions, cheese and spices, and everything else that usually goes into my regular crabcakes.

I have a large cookie-cutter that's in the shape of a bunny's head, complete with long ears. I'm going to use that to make the salmon-crabcakes come out looking like bunnies. It will take some time, because I'll have to pack the salmon-crab mixture into the metal cutter, top it with the crushed pistachio nuts, then lift up the cutter without disturbing the bunny shape. Let's see.... nine people for dinner, two bunnies each.... that's eighteen salmon-crabcakes, and I always make extra, just in case. The bunny shape is rather large, and we're having other courses, so just one should be enough for everyone, but I won't take a chance with that. I'd rather have more than I need, rather than not enough.

Our friends K and B are bringing a tossed vegetable salad, and also a mushroom quiche. So that's two courses right there. Our friend L is making a special side-dish for the salmon-crabcakes.... a casserole with red bliss potatoes in a cream sauce with feta cheese. And S is bringing dessert.... a sweet cake made with ladyfingers. Also, my husband plans to make Scottish Eggs, which are hard-boiled eggs covered with sausage meat.... they usually get deep-fried, but he found a recipe for baking them. I guess I'll serve the eggs with the salad course.

So much food...... by the time we do get to the main course, I'm betting that one bunny-shaped salmon-crabcake will be enough, but I've got enough fish and crab to make the extra ones. I'm hoping that I can lift the crabcakes off the baking pan without messing up the ears on the bunnies. I plan to use parchment paper, and I'll spray the paper with the non-stick spray, so that should help. (I guess the bunny-shapes are my "over-the-top" item for this dinner party.)


We went out for dinner tonight, to Babbo Bruno's. Delicious sea bass on the menu, half of which is in the fridge for tomorrow's dinner. We got home in time for me to watch Barry Manilow on "Larry King Live." Wonderful interview.... lots of old footage from Barry's early days, plus he sang three songs from his new CDs. Manilow signed another contract with the Las Vegas Hilton.... he'll be performing there for another three years. And he's also working on another music CD--- songs from the 1960s. His 1950s CD is still topping the charts.... I have it in my car and it's a wonder I haven't worn it out yet. Great music, just great music.

Anyway......... it's been a busy day but the house is just about set. The cats are all out on the porch now, and won't come back in the house till after our friends leave on Sunday night. I've got the centerpieces out on the table, the favors and party-bags are all arranged, and everything is ready for the egg hunt. Tomorrow I will open up the dining room table and get out the tablecloth and china and silverware. And I will also be making those bunny-shaped, pistachio-crusted salmon-crabcakes. I thought it would be best to set them up on the baking pans tomorrow so I can take my time, then wrap them up and keep them in the fridge till baking time on Sunday afternoon. With a little bit of luck, all the bunny ears will be intact when it comes time to serve them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home