Sprinkles

Saturday, April 15, 2006

Bunnies in The Fridge....

My idea to make the salmon-crabcakes in the shapes of bunnies was such a great idea. It took a lot longer this way, but the results were definitely worth the time. The cookie cutter in the bunny shape made a much bigger serving than I thought, being that the metal cutter is more than an inch in depth, and nearly four inches high. Just one bunny-cake will be enough of a serving for each person.

I didn't write down exact measurements, but I think my ratio of salmon to crabmeat was three to one. I have another container of crabmeat that I didn't use, because I wanted the salmon to be the main ingredient, with the crab being just an accent to the recipe. Before I lifted the filled-up cookie cutter off of the baking pan, I sprinkled the tops of the bunny with parmesean cheese, then crushed pistachio nuts. The cookie cutter came off easily, with just a little bit of pressing down on the fish mixture so the salmon-crabcake would retain its bunny-cute shape.

So now they're all in the fridge, waiting to be baked. Ten or fifteen minutes should be enough cooking time, because both the salmon and crab is pre-cooked. (When I pre-cooked the salmon, I left it rare in the middle so the second cooking wouldn't overcook it.) I don't want to let them get dried out, so I'll have to watch them carefully tomorrow. I had just enough of the mixture to make one very thin bunny-shape for my husband and I to try....... it easily lifted off the parchment paper after baking, so I don't have to worry about getting an ear-less bunny tomorrow. I had forgotten just how big and how deep that cookie cutter was. I think it was a Wilton brand, or Williams Sonoma. I had found that over in one of the Alvin antique shops a few weekends ago when I went there with our friend V.


My husband has been busy this morning making Easter Bunny photos of all of our friends who will be here for dinner tomorrow. He is a wiz with "photo-shop," and he can put anyone into any picture. He searched the Internet for people posed in bunny costumes, then used pictures of our friends to put their faces into the photographs. The results are hilarious..... he has shown me all of the photos except the ones he did of me and him. He said he needs to keep at least part of them a surprise for tomorrow. I told him that I didn't want my photo to be a Playboy bunny, but I don't think he would do that. (From my lips to the Easter bunny's ears....)

The table is done....... all set up for tomorrow's dinner. The pink tablecloth from my husband's mom was the perfect one to use. We put both leaves into the dining room table so everyone will have enough elbow-room for a multi-course dinner. I used my porcelain bunnies to decorate the table, as well as the Easter basket that I found in J's antique shop. The sides of the metal Easter basket are decorated with vintage Easter postcards, which is perfect because the placecards I made are also vintage Easter postcards. I filled up that basket with porcelain eggs and it looks beautiful. We're still planning to have the egg hunt after dinner and before dessert, which will give everyone time to stretch and relax-- and everyone will be out of the dining room so I can get things set up for dessert.

This is the first time we've had a dinner party for Easter Sunday, since we usually spent the day at K and B's house for their own Easter brunch and egg hunt. They couldn't do that this year, so they'll be here tomorrow. I don't know if they'll resume their Easter party next year, but if they don't, then everyone will be here again, I'm sure. Which means I'll have to think of something else to do with that bunny cookie cutter.... the possibilities are endless.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home